cheap walls for basement.....

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Billy Gun, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Billy Gun

Billy Gun Stunt Coordinator

Ideas?

I was thinking of just painting them with tan Drylock sealer....but there would'nt be much deadening with my stained concrete floor and drywall ceiling.....

Your thoughts?

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Personally, I'd finish the walls out with studs and drywall. This will give you an opportunity to wire the room so the wires will be concealed. Also, properly finishing the room may mean some energy savings ($$) down the road - from insulating the room after you've framed it. It doesn't get much cheaper than drywall (4' x 8' sheet for $5.50 and 2" x 4" studs for about $2.30 each.) I think making an investment and completing the room right the first time is your best bet.

3. Billy Gun

Billy Gun Stunt Coordinator

well I don't have the cash or time for labor right now for drywall...I was thinking of just painting it to seal it, which i gotta do anyway...then just making some wooden columns every 8' or so to hide the wires and for electrical boxes....
    any other ideas?

anyone carpet the walls for sound deadening? right onto the masonry?

4. Mark McGill

Mark McGill Stunt Coordinator

It's a really bad idea to attach anything directly to the foundation. Moisture will still be present, and anything like carpet etc will act like a sponge, even with sealing.

You mentioned time and money. If you don't do it right in the first place, it will end up costing more time and money to do it right. Most building codes specify no attachment to foundations and will require an air space between insulation/studs etc. Good luck.