cheap vs.expensive projectors just for dvd,s

Discussion in 'Displays' started by frank g., Jun 26, 2004.

1. frank g.

frank g. Auditioning

For maximum viewing pleasure and picture quality, would a lower resolution and cost 800x600 projector give the same results as a higher resolution 1024x720 projector with same video feed such as dvd,s which are 720x480? Most people watch dvd material on there projectors because of the limited content of hd today. On a second note, does the internal scaler affect the picture quality to a great extent if the source material is only 720x480? What I am getting at here if a person only watvhes dvd,s on there theater, does it really make a difference if they watch it on a 800x600 projector or is it worth while to have a 1024x720 or higher resolution projector? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, scaling is very important, and the quality of the projector is also very important. DVD has its limitations, and higher-quality projectors will at once look far far better, while at the same time revealing the lacking quality of DVDs at the same time.

I'm pushing 1280x1024 to my projector at the moment, and to say that 480 would look anything even remotely as good would certainly be incorrect. Also, pixel counts are not the be-all end-all measure of picture quality, they are only one part.

3. frank g.

frank g. Auditioning

Thanks Chris. I always thought that resolution was the big factor in overall picture quality but am now starting to see why this is not quite the end all. Time to go shopping with a little bit more of a budget. The sharp 12000 hd+2 is my first choice but the in focus 5700 is more in my price range. Any recommendation's or info about the scaling performance between the two units? If the cheaper projector will be close in performance then that will leave me more funds to put toward a better screen.I am not too knowledgeable and any help would be appreciated. Ready to buy but not quite sure which one.

4. Ken.Nischan

Ken.Nischan Agent

I've heard alot of good things about the Sanyo PLV-Z2 and it's averaging around $1500 on ebay. I think that's the route I'm going. Native WXGA.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The infocus 5700 is really not at all comparable to an HD2+ such as the sharp 12k. You should demo these units if you can. The HD2+ projectors are the first projectors that are really beginning to approach high-end CRT performance in a significant way.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The least expensive HD2+ projector out now is the Benq 8700+. Mine should be shipping next week! [​IMG]

HTF member and review David Boulet has one...and many other people rave about it. Great 1280x720 HD2+ projector that can be had for $4K street. (Um...it's great because it is cheap...it's not as good as the Sharp 12K of course - which is more than double the price).

There is also the HD2-only Benq 8700 (no +) that can be found for even less $$$.

7. frank g.

frank g. Auditioning

wow, a benq 8700 for 4 grand is amazing. For that price you are one lucky individual. Have heard a lot of good things about that projector. HD+2 performance for a fraction of the price of the sharp 12000. A large percentage of people on this forum seem to really give high marks to the sharp unit. What is it that would warrant the extreme price difference? Is it the video scaling and other features Chris was mentioning, or something else? Is the sanyo projector ken mentions a dlp or lcd?

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The Benq 8700+ has been heavily discounted in a lot of online HT stores. You should have no trouble finding one at similar prices! Although, I hear stock has been drying up, the demand is so high!

The Sharp 12000 has these features the Benq 8700+ lacks:

- adjustable iris to increase contrast (and lowers light output as a consequence)
    - probably has a better deinterlacer (Faroudja?)
    - more accurate colors out of the box (and likely a better color wheel)
    - very quiet (

9. frank g.

frank g. Auditioning

Thanks max for all the valuable info and to all others who participated in this thread[​IMG]