Cheap Thrills

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Joy, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Wow, taking me back a bit. I bought cheap thrills on vinyl off a guy in 1982 to play on my first stereo. Boy I wish I had kept the lp (and had a turn table now) to compare. After first listen(still ongoing) I am having a hard time getting used to the background surrounds in in Turtle Blues and Oh, Sweet Mary but I like what I hear. I am getting some decent .1 with bass management set to multidirect(so no bm!). Gotta go finish listening!
    DOPE, SEX, and CHEAP THRILLS!
    With the announcement of Stones SACD HYBRID, I can barely type I am so exited[​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dan, have you listened to the stereo track? Impressions? Do you have the CD for comparison?

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

No, just listened to SACD multichannel and unfortunately I do not posses the CD[​IMG] I hope to listen to it more this week. Just also picked up Tom Waits Blood Money CD and Mark Knopfler Road to Philadelphia which is awesome. I hope (but think that DVD-A has Knopfler) that I can someday hear him and/or Dire Straits on SACD:b

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dan, Dire Straits is on Warner, and I am pretty sure that Mark Knopfler is as well. So, I would not expect to see either on SACD.

As for Janis Joplin, I am planning to pick up the Sony Music three-CD box that has Cheap Thrills, Pearl, and a live CD for around $28. Perhaps you have seen these boxed sets of big-name Sony Music artists. It's a great way to get some classic albums cheap. I'll get the Cheap Thrills SACD at some point.

5. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Kieth, I did a little A/B of stereo to multichannel this am. Multichannel appears to be a little louder(may have to check with my spl level) and has a tad more bass(could be do to my SVS 25-31PCi). I pretty much consider me a 2 chan music guy but the sacd is having me reconsider. While at some points the extra noise(crowd, background instruments) can be distracting, if I close my eyes I feel like I am center with all music enveloping me(I think that's what they intended to do right[​IMG] ). I feel that the 2 channel stereo has a little less of an edge to it. So the jury is still out. I am impressed with the sound though!
    And by the way, THEY CAN JAM[​IMG]
    I don't own any hybrids yet, but having 2 channel and multichannel capabilities is awesome. I am so glad that I bought this cd/sacd player(yeah I know you guys can't tell[​IMG] ). I imagine my love for hybrids will never wipe that sh!t eating grin of my face[​IMG]