What's new

Cheap technique for multiple digital coax connections! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Given that I frown on spending $12 for a cable, and that my 2nd player only has coax out, I tried an experiment. I used a cheap Radio Shack RCA stereo to mono Y connector, and now both decks are connected and totally functional through 1 input. Works great, less filling :)

Vasanth B

Stunt Coordinator
Crude, but effective. However, I doubt the "Y" cable is a 75ohm so you may have audio dropout problems with one or both connections. If you do, you will have to find an alternate solution.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I'll go one better! I use these connectors I bought at a DOLLAR STORE!!!!! I use them in 2 places:

To split off from the LNB of my C-Band sat to an MPEG reciever...true high def..looks wonderful!!!!

Split down the line to the amps powering the LFE channel. Goes to the amp for two 18" bins and my array of Bass Shakers. As Jeff and others who have been in The ScootPlex2000 can attest to..there is no lack of bass or balls tingling sensation missing in my system!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
One issue:

Because of the way digital data is transmitted across analog carriers, often amplitude is a part of how the signal is read on the other end. I'm not 100% sure if this is a factor with DD or DTS, but I believe PCM carried on coax is decoded in 0's and 1's based, in part, on amplitude.

By splitting the signal- you are effectively changing the impedance and voltage- and thus will have a big effect on the perception of amplitude, effecting the digital data.

With DD and DTS, the data is packeted, so if this would have any effect- it would simply prevent it from working. However- with PCM type audio, you will most likely create a serious amplified amount of jitter in the signal. This may/may not manifest itself as seriously audible artifacts- but would have an impact on audio quality- if even subtly.

Just a heads up.

-V

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I dont really want you to do this, but I really wonder what might happen if you are watching one DVD player and power on the other with a disk in the tray.
Perhaps you would discover a new form of "jitter"?:)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if a regular switching device would work for this - like the kind you used to see a lot that allowed you to use 2-3 tape players with a single tape monitor loop...

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
heh, that's why I DON'T power up the second player

I have 6 or 7 PCM discs, and I AB'D analog and digital. Sounded identical to me. Possibly a more anal person(in that area) would find fault, but at least to my ears, the most important part it sounded equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks