Cheap Sub Now? Or good sub Later?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wil_J, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

The topic says it all. My current HT does not have a sub. I'm planning to get an SVS 20-39PC when I get my tax return next year.
    My question is: Should I get a cheep sub for between now and then?
    I have JBL N26's as my mains, the N-Center, N24's as my rears, all powered by an Onkyo 494. The setup sounds good to me, but I don't like not having the low end on my in home system (I do have a sub in my car). Is it worth getting a cheap sub for such a short time?........Wil
    ------------------
    "The rose petal floats on water,
    the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
    Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
    *******The Wheel of Time

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Personally, I would wait. It will be worth the wait. But if you get a sub now, you will be wasting your money since you will not want to use it in conjunction with an SVS and you probably won't get much for it since you say it will be cheap. But if you really crave the bass, get something to hold you over.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would also wait. Take the money you would spend on a cheaper sub and channel it elsewhere where it is needed (whatever that may be).
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Note, you can make a cheap sub sound a little better until you can get the SVS. My pick would be the KLH 12 inch powered sub from Costco or Sams Club, then fill it with insulation for sound dampening. I heard this does wonders for the sub, I heard the sub and I thought about buying it for 109.00 for the bedroom, but the wife won't let me set up the old system in the bedroom. When you get your SVS, you can use the both for the big boom.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I'd wait.

6. Loring

Loring Stunt Coordinator

Wow, so far its four waits to two buy nows. Well make that five waits since I am waiting myself. So I can have a SVS sub. [​IMG]
    I also have no sub in my home theater and I know I am missing the low end but its ok if I want low end I will listen to music on my computer with its a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 until I get my SVS.
    But I know ill have a kick arse sub setup once I get my SVS and amp (I do not know if I will get the Samson or not yet?).
    Now if I could get the SVS and a 50+ inch widescreen set then I would be set. But rather have the sub. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    ~Loring

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I say buy a cheap one now. And then "upgrade" later.
    2 reasons: once you've had a sub for a while, you know better in the future what you like and what you don't like in terms of that "ultimate" purchase. Looks, size, sound, "features", etc. (Took me 3 purchases until I found my "ultimate.")
    2nd: this is what ebay is for! Buy the cheap one now, and continue saving for the more expensive one later. When the day comes, unload the cheap one and get the more expensive one.
    Ebay, Audiogon, the "market postings" here and on audioreview etc. These are all great avenues with which to "trade up" gear.
    ------------------

8. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Here is a vote for wait. If you know you are going to be getting something much better soon, don't spend the money now. You could resell your old sub, but that will be more work and time. Take the money and either save it towards that SVS, or spend it on something else that needs improvement.
    -Max

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Get the cheap one now. The Sony 12" is very popular for $150 I think.
    People who are telling you to wait are probably speaking in hindsight. I have had many upgrades that were a few months appart, but I rarely regretted spending the money instead of saving for something better.
    Unless your setup is really high end, a sub is always a great improvement impact wise.
    When you can't afford SVS right now, you have to go with something. I know most of us SVS owners would never go back, but you have to start somewhere. When you have never owned one, you will be impressed with any sub.
    For movies, it is my belief that a cheap sub is better than no sub. Impact matters more than accuracy in HT.
    Get it now.
    --
    Holadem - then don't forget to get it later.

10. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

Wait wait wait!
    I've got so much gear that fit the budget of the month, that its silly. My home office's music-only system consists of 2 pairs of speakers, 2 pairs of different monoblock amps, 1 stereo amp, 2 pre-amps, 2 cd players. And thats not even counting the low/mid fi gear in the closet that I'm too lazy to sell.
    Though a cheap sub could always migrate to a secondary system.....but I'd suggest not making a habit of it!
    I just recently got a CS-U, and that was my first sub on a fairly nice 5.1 system.

11. Scott_Mill

Scott_Mill Extra

How bout a cheap-good sub now. I just built a sonosub for a little money but I think it sounds great. There are a lot of resources out here and you could have it done way before your tax money comes in. Then again you could do a diy AND buy the SVS when you have some cash!.

12. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Put it on a line of credit. [​IMG]
    No seriously. Get a 20-39PC now and pay the interest. You get better quality bass for the time being and in the long run it costs you less. On the other hand don't let this become a habit... [​IMG]
    Or else wait.
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on October 24, 2001 at 02:02 PM]

13. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Cheap one. Sony is a good holdover. You can always move it to a second system or even give it away if you don't want the hassle of selling. Movies are a lot more fun with it than it was without [​IMG]