Cheap sub improvements?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Marc*F, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

I just got myself a cheap little 8" BIC Venturi sub with 80watt amp.....for the price it goes ok. It is a ported design and tuned at 37hz.....i've noticed with music the bass is loud and strong, but in movies such as explosions the bass doesn't really kick in.....just a slight rumble...but when there is a soundtrack in the background of the movie the bass kicks in strong....would this be because movie bass is quite low (20-25hz?) and my sub is simply not picking up the bass strongly?

Another question, what are some of the mods that can be done for cheap subs or any for that matter that could help it sound abit better?

Thanks

2. JessPrice

JessPrice Stunt Coordinator

It is tunned much too high to have the impact for HT or low frequency reproduction.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Try setting all speakers to SMALL if you haven't already. Also, try placing the subwoofer in a corner of the room...preferably a corner near the key listening positions. Calibrate with a SPL meter when you have a chance,

Tom V.
    SVS

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Right now I have a not too expensive Polk Audio PSW250, it reaches about 30Hz I would take a good guess at it's lowest. I have it in an area where it can just be amplified that is about 3 feet big and when I take it out of that corner it gets a little weaker.

Definantly put it in a corner where it will be able to amplify better and you will notice a difference.

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I agree with the placement recommendations. Is it a downfiring sub on carpet? Try placing a hard surface under it to try and spread the sound out horizontally.

As far as improvements go, there's not much you can do to make the sub go any lower short of taking it apart and measuring the T/S parameters and building a better tuned box. And, if you're going to do all that, you might as well build a better performing sub from scratch.

You could try experimenting with some stuffing in the box. I'm guessing since it's pretty inexpensive, there's probably not any in there. Even though it's a ported box, it can still benefit from some stuffing inside causing the driver to react as if it were in a larger box giving you a bit more bass extension.

But, to reiterate, proper placement can make a world of difference in how a sub performs.

6. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the replies, its pretty much placed in the corner of the room....when you say corner, is this tucked right into the corner? right now its like 2 feet out of the corner next to one of the walls if you know what i mean....
    it is a downfiring sub on carpet.....so placing a solid tile under it will help? what sort of material could i place under it?

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

8. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

I'll try it equidistant from both walls....and also putting a hard surface under it....it has nothing blocking the sub...thanks for the info