What's new

Cheap speakers for music only stereo setup? (1 Viewer)

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Because of the way that I have my room set-up it's inconvenient for me to use my main HT system for casual music listening during the day. The area I'm normally sitting at when I'm not watching TV or a movie puts me fairly close to the right main speaker, so it's uncomfortable to listen to music at fairly high levels. And that's not even mentioning the fact that everything sounds off balance since I'm so close to one speaker. Anyway, I have an older stereo receiver that I want to use strictly for music, but I'll need to pick up some cheap ($200 or less) speakers to use with it temporarily. They'll probably be replaced when I upgrade the speakers in my movie setup...

Anyway, can someone recommend a pair of speakers in that price range that are "okay" for music? If it makes a difference I listen mostly to rock and metal and occassionally pop or classical. I'd really appreciate any advice, because I'd like to buy these speakers soon, but really won't have the time to do a lot of research or auditioning. Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
200 or less is a tough one, but if it isn't too critical and the amp has decent power (true wattage) then I'd probably recommend Paradigm Titans. They can typically be had for right around $200. I picked up a pair of shielded V3s for $189 on sale. Good overall speaker, and does decently well with lower powered amps. I feel they have a little trouble in the lower midrange, and can be boomy if not positioned well in the room, but they are still very good for the price. The Atom is a step below, loses the boominess at the expense of low end extension.
If you could stretch the budget a bit to $250, then I would say the Axiom M3Ti would be a good bet. If not, then maybe the M2Ti.
If you shop around, you can probably find a good deal on the JBL S26 as well.

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
If you could stretch the budget a bit to $250, then I would say the Axiom M3Ti would be a good bet. If not, then maybe the M2Ti.
Hmm. I'll look into the M3Ti's. I'll have to see if my local shop has them, though, or else find them online. Unfortunately there isn't a huge abundance of Hi-fi/audio stores around here without having to drive for 45 minutes or more. Anyway, $200 or under was just a ballpark figure. If there's something good that's a bit pricier I could probably stretch myself up to $300 if need be.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I totally second the Titan reccommendation. The Titan has excellent bass response without a sub. The lower mids are a little muddy, and the extremw highs are a little harsh, but that is in comparison to $300-$500 speakers. The Titans are a super value.

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
I don't suppose the Titans are available online? I hate ordering speakers without hearing them first, but I know for a fact that the two stores closest to me don't stock Paradigm and I'd probably have a half hour to an hour drive to find one that does.

EDIT: And thanks for the link, John. Taking a look there now.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is only one dealer I've heard of who is selling Paradigm online, and the prices are higher than MSRP. If I remember correctly, I'm not even sure they would be able to ship them either, as Paradigm normally does not allow online sales.
There aren't any Titans listed on Audiogon, but you might try E-bay. I got an older, used pair for $80.
For Paradigm dealers: Link Removed

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator

Or you could try Marc at audioshop.on.ca . For me he was able to beat the factory outlet price (shipped) on some Axioms.

Matthew

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Yet another tough decision.
Well, thanks to that dealer locator I was able to find a shop that sells Paradigms about 12 miles away so after Christmas I'll take a trip up there and check out the Titans. Since it doesn't seem like I'll be able to check out the Axioms locally, though, I'm not sure what I'll do about that.
How do the Axiom M3Ti's compare to Paradigm Titans? Ignoring the cost for a couple of seconds which speakers would probably be better for just music? Also, thanks a lot. I really appreciate the advice. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For music, the M3Ti is better, no question in my mind at all. I would have bought them myself, had I known about them beforehand (and this is comparing the two in my own system). You give up some bass response with the M3, but it makes up for that in clarity. I would really want a sub with the M3s, but for average listening, they should do fine. When fed with more power, the M3 stayed happy.

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds good. Thanks again for the recommendations. I think I'll still check out the Titans, but I'll probably end up buying the Axioms. I have an older Sony sub that I can use for now with the M3Tis until I can afford a slightly better one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks