What's new

Cheap reciever w/pre outputs to simply get dolby pro logic 2 (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I am holding on to my somewhat "dated" Marantz AV9000.
I just love the sound on music too much.
ANd I also wanna keep the demod input for my Dolby Digital laserdiscs. Not to mention the remote which I think Marantz no longer makes.
Getting a whole new pre-amp is outa the question for me just to get DPL 2.
So I am thinking about getting a well built but cheap reciever that includes pre outs that I can plug into my Marantz AV9000's 5 channel input for DPL 2, since I own several anime DVD's that are not discrete DD 5.1 or DTS and I'd love to hear some of my video games in DPL 2 (SNES, PS, Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube, etc).

Suggestions please, not interested in bells or whistles, just a reciever that does DPL 2 decoding well (since I will continue to use the Marantz AV9000 for all other functions) and pre outs are a MUST!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What's cheap? Marantz 5400 or 5500. Go for the newer models because the first round (x200) only had a basic version of PLII that had no options like the x300 and newer do. Seems like a lot of trouble just to get PLII, I'd be looking for PLIIx at least if you were going to go to the trouble of adding another receiver just for that.

Take a look in the for sale area. There's a Marantz 7400 for ~$550.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Beware a little bit too...

The 5 Channel input is not really went to handle Pre-Out, really meant for line level.

Does your Marantz have Main inputs / Power amp inputs???? Of course if it has that, it will work like a champ!!

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies.
My Marantz AV9000 pre-amp just just a 5 channel input, for a future 5 channel source.
Since there are no stand alone dpl2 decoders I was figuring w/a budget reviever that has DPL 2 and pre outs, I could run it into my Marantz AV9000's 5 channel inputs, strictly for my video games, pcm laserdiscs, and non dd/dts 5.1 anime dvd's to get dpl2 sound. Something for $250 or under?

Also just wondering, if there would be a dealer or company who could just update the dpl decoding chip to dpl2 on the Marantz AV9000?

I know this was done for upgrading to DTS several years ago on other units.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You can do it, just once you sort of have the level set, don't use the colume control at all from the new AVR/Decoder. Just not ideal, but it does work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks