What's new

Cheap Receiver (1 Viewer)

Riccardo Dicola

Auditioning
Hello everyone,
My girlfriend bought me for Christmas a Theater Research Home System speakers model TR-7000. My old receiver is way too old to support this kind of speakers and I'm therefore forced to buy a new one....I can't afford to buy anything above $ 350.00 for the time being and I was looking at the models Circus City and Best Buy have on sale...i.e. Sony STRDE 595 for 199.99 and similar...
Since I'm fairly new with such systems could someone please help me in identifying a decent receiver to support my TR-7000?
Here are the specifications:
Digital Sub-Woofer 200 Watts @ 8 Ohms
Satellite Speakers 120 Watts X 5
Frequency Response 80-20 Khz Center
Frequency Response 20-180 Hz Subwoofer
CD-DVD Player Ready
Thanks in advance for your help...this site is GREAT!!!

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well i'm not sure how your reciever couldn't handle it, but in any case if you are looking for a new one with all the latest bells and whistles the first thing I would say to do it avoid a store like CircuitCity or Bestbuy. They sell everything at MSRP so you will basically get ripped off.

Also, something else I would try to avoid would be the lower-end Sony line. I've owned them, know people who have owned them, and they all have fallen apart and broke within a year or two.

I would say take a look at the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 refurb. at www.harmanaudio.com or perhaps the Onkyo TSX-501 seems to be a popular choice too. Enjoy.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Go for at least a 6.1 reciever.
With HDTV comming soon, maybe consider one with Component Video Switching of 50mhz bandwidth or higher.

The Onkyo is available at ecost.com for like $185 and is really a nice unit that meets both of these requirements.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Look for an Onkyo TX-SR501. It will be perfect for what you are looking for. You can get it online pretty cheap, or if you really want to buy it locally, then I know Circuit City has them. Check their website. Excellent receiver, getting HIGH marks around here for bang for the buck value.

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Panasonic SAHE100 for $230, Circuit City is asking for $299. This Panasonic has many good reviewss and I am quite pleased with it but it is perhaps too early for me to be sure.

Andy.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
If you can afford it they have the H/K avr130 at circuitcity.com for $360 + tax. I went and saw one in person and boy they look sweet.

Iver

Second Unit
If you want new rather than refurb, a good bargain is the Panasonic SA-HE75 which places like jandr sell for $150.

I'm not into refurb products personally, but if you go that route the entry-level Denon and Yamahas are nice receivers and often available as refurbs, as much as that may seem like an oxymoron.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Check out JVC too. A lot of bang for the buck!
They tend to run a little cheaper, and have more features than receivers in their same price range. For about $300 you can get a pretty darn good JVC. I've been using them for over 10 yrs., and have never had a problem with them..........

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Onkyo TX-SR501 refurbished by Onkyo (with Onyko warranty) from ecost.com. You can't beat it's features for the price.

There's nothing wrong with refurbished gear.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Riccardo,
Take a look at the post titled 'Denon 1804 set up'. It makes mention of somebody getting a Denon 1804 from 6ave for $350.

Riccardo Dicola

Auditioning
Thank you everyone.....I was indeed looking into an Onkyo 501, saw one yesterday at ABT for 250 bucks....
But then my girlfriend saw the slim panasonic that "looks" much nicer so now I have to convince her about quality versus looks...groan!!!
THANK YOU THOUGH for you help,
R

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Another vote for Onkyo!! I'd say buy as much Onkyo as you have money to spend. You will not regret it. I have been very satisfied with mine for four years (777) and it has helped me avoid the upgrade itch so far. Very sweet sound and strong performance. Mine is also extremely user friendly. My seven and ten year old boys use it with no problem. My wife even uses it:D . I think Onkyo has best bulletproof bang for the buck. They are heavy though, mine weighs 48 lbs. Something to consider. good luck and enjoy.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
ABT, man I love going to that place when I visit my mom. Try to convince your lady that size does matter.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Go have a look at pioneer recivers, they are nice sounding and powerful. but the panasonic he 100 very good for the bucks!

Muhammed

Agent
The Onkyo is a great unit. Although which slim Panasonic are you looking at? There's another thread here regarding the XR25/45 (those are the only slim Panny's that come to mind). Both are using digital amps, and have been getting great reviews regarding sound quality from digital signals (DVDs, CDs, via an optical or Coax digital cable)

Whatever you buy is going to be outdated in a few years anyway (something new always comes out), I would get something that fits your budget, and don't worry much about features you aren't going to use. Chances are you'll get upgrade-itis in a little while anyway.

Do some reading/searching on the Panasonic (there's a thread on audioasylum.com) it may turn out to be a very good choice. I also don't think you can go wrong with the Onkyo, if it's still an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks