What's new

Cheap quality speakers. (1 Viewer)

Jacob C

Second Unit
Hi all I'm trying to start an inexpensive "home theatre" for my parents. I would love to get them a pair of Ascend Acoustics 170SEs but I really should not spend that much money. I have money at the moment but I am currently out of work so I'm trying to get the best I can for the money. Any suggestions would be great. The onix x-LS is not much cheaper than the ascend refurbs. Anyone know of quality speakers in the Sub-$200 class?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You can go to audioadvisor.com and purchase some really good stuff for the price you are talking about.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Palisander natural satin X-LSs are currently on sale for $199.

UNDER $200, the Athena AS-B1s or B2s from Audio Advisor would probably fit the bill, but they aren't quite as good as the X-LSs. There are some LS-100 demo units on there as well, though I haven't heard them.

Jacob C

Second Unit
I may have to see if I can somehow stretch for the ascends. They are most likely far and away the best with the refurbs going for less than $300.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 170SEs are very neutral sounding and are a great overall speaker. The X-LSs are not quite as neutral, but they do have a big sound stage and better bass than the 170s; they are also much larger than the 170s though. In the price range, you won't go wrong with either of them.

Real Name
Tony Novacek
Look into the Venue Series from JBL. They are pretty good for the price. I have the "Stages" (soon to be studios or stadiums), "Balconys" and the "Voice" matched with my SVS PB12-NSD/2 and it sounds impressive. They are powered by my H/K AVR-247. I was honestly shocked at how well the Venue series sounded when I hooked them up. Being that they are lower-mid grade. I got the speakers and receiver as a package from bestbuy.com. I was very weary on the speakers, but in the end I'm pretty happy with them.

Just a thought!

dlazer11

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave L.
The AV123 ELT-525's are a great value for $300. They were designed by Danny Richie and Mark Schifter. I have 'em and like 'em.

macnerd77

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua
Check frys.com too. they have the polk r150s onsale right now for 49.99 a pair .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks