Cheap Projectors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Pratt, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm having to replace my 50" Toshiba RPTV since its red gun is nearly worn out. I was all set to simply pick up a 32" tube set for regular TV and start saving up for a projector of some sort but I've come across several cheaper projectors that I could buy now to get me into the game so to speak while I wait for DLP prices to drop etc. Anyway I've seen a number of cheaper refurbished CRT units that look ok and a few LCD models that might work but this is a new arena for me so I'm looking for some guidance....ie would you simple forego these cheaper models and buy a 32" set for now and continue to save up or are these ok starter models?
    For example one LCD model I came across was this one on Ebay. It claims to have a 16:9 mode which would be nice.
    On the CRT side there's several models that are similar to this one being sold by a guy in BC who refurbs them.
    Thoughts?

2. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Definitely post this on AVS. Sorry to hear about the Toshiba...you just got that recently (like a year ago)...didn't you?

Saw you home theater on your webpage. That room screams projector.

I've been looking too. The panasonic AE100 is highly regarded and Sony has the HS-10 coming in October. Both Native 16:9 projectors that are considered inexpensive (still $3400 - $4000) but beats the hell out of just about any Widescreen TV out there.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Yes the Tosh was only made in March of 1999 so it wasn't that old nor was it ever in abused so I'm not sure why the red gun is failing so soon.

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

If you decide to go with a crt projector, Curt has a very good reputation over at the avs forum. I bought an electrohome 4101 from him. If you decide to go with a digital projector I think I would stay away from that one (175 lumens?). Personally I would get a tube now and save up for a better projector, unless you up the budget to 1500-2000 which will get you into the lower priced digitals and very decent used crt projectors.

TimG

5. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

AE100 is a nice projector....700 Lumens - definitely bright enough....I can have about 700 watts or more of room lighting and still watch a fine picture (I had a window uncovered last evening without problems...Note: I wouldnt watch movies that way, but PC or TV is fine.......Its a great way to get into FP now and wait for the DLP thing to sort itself out.....
    There are only two cavaets with the AE100.....
    1. Seating distance - You MUST sit 2x screen width away for seamless (non-screendoor) image....I dont need to in my setup, but any recommendation of less is mute....
    2. VGA Input - Either via transcoder (AA Authority) or HTPC. The VGA port has a stunning picture - Component is acceptable, but not desireable for best picture....
    Check out EdgyLyric's post on the AE100
    It really does sum up the AE100 - If you are thinking LCD, you are just paying to sit closer with something else - of course, in some cases that IS a necessity.....

6. Dan Galyen

Dan Galyen Agent

Andrew:
    I'd keep an eye on e-Bay like you mentioned. I got a wonderful Sharp XV-H37vua for only $650 including a mount and new bulb. The guy upgraded to the new Sharp 9000 unit.
    That LCD is here in Pensacola, I wish I knew who the guy was or I'd talk to him for you. If you can find out more info I may be able to go see it if you are really interested. If so, my e-mail has changed to [email protected]
    For a good CRT, try AVForum, or also check www.crtcinema.com out of Wisconsin.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

thanks Dan but on closer inspection that LCD model doesn't look that appealing for HT use given its very low lumens and only being 640 rez. I'm mostly likely going to go with a CRT of some description...actually that NEC is leading the pack right now.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Well, Andrew, the projector seed has been planted and if I were you, it would be hard to turn back to getting that 32" set now. As long as you have adequate light control I say go for it and get that projector. Keep as part of your budget, decent calibration if you can afford it if you get the CRT unit.