Cheap projectors: Can It Be Done?!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LaMarcus, Jul 17, 2002.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Can you get a excellent projector for a max price of 2 grand? Shipping included with minimum screen door, virtually no rainbows, great black level, good contrast. It doesn't even have to do HD. Does this projector exists?

2. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

Panny AE100 is not shabby for the price. Of course, there is some screen door, and black levels could be better- but I do not think you can get any better for the price.

Cheers

Andrew B.

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

For a max of 2 grand? Sure, get a used CRT. Absolutely no screen door, absolutely no rainbows, excellent black levels, good contrast, and a royal pain to set up and maintain.

4. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Agree with Gabriel (except for the royal pain part).

:)

They are certainly more difficult to ceiling mount, but once you're done, you're done. As far as maintenance goes, there is some tweeking (more than a digital), but not much more than 30 minutes per month once setup is complete to maintain proper focus and convergence. If you like to tweek, this is actually a boon instead of curse.

I bought my Sony 1272Q CRT with 700 hours on the CRTs for $1200. It requires a dark room, but the picture is AMAZING on a 100" screen. With care, the CRTs should last for 10,000 hours (unlike a bulb on LCD or DLP which will burn out after 1000 hours usually).

i did the math: One movie a night, EVERY NIGHT, equals 2 hours x 365 days = 730 hours per YEAR (remember the 10,000 hour lifespan?)... A very easy sale.

To answer the original poster's question: ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT QUESTION, and you can get outstanding quality too (with some sacrifices already mentioned).

John G

5. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I hear people say get a used CRT alot, but where in the HELL do you get one? Then if you do find one I'm pretty sure it's a big gamble in regards to condition, but if you luck up and get a jewel I bet it's a beautiful thing.

What's the had thing about setting them up? I'm pretty sure I can imagine the problems maintaining one.

6. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Okay, I didn't refresh the page before I replyied so John answered some of my questions.

But one still remains where do I find one?

And John how far do you have to sit back from that screen in feet?

7. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Dear LaMarcus,
    Where do you get one?....avsforum.com. There are a buncha fellas who acquire CRT pjs and sell em quickly at great prices plus there is a classifieds section full or CRTs. According to AVS members, ebay is not a realiable place for CRTs (unless the seller is a man by the name curt palme). My suggestion is to go to avs, sign up, and tell em you have 2 grand for a CRT and you wanna be hooked up.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=16
    also, supposedly, the best way to watch a DVD on a CRT projector is by using a computer with a nice graphics card that will scale the DVD's 480 Horz. line resolution to somewhere more befitting to the projector (e.g. 1600x1200). A straight DVD to CRT connection will result in scan lines...big ones!

8. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i would also recommend Curt Palme. he's in Vancouver, BC and ships from Washington state. he has an excellent reputation on AVS. i have exchanged many emails/phone calls with Curt and have visited him in his home. he demo'ed several CRT projectors for me and my wife and answered all my stupid questions.[​IMG]
    do a search for him on AVS and send him an email to get put on his bi-weekly email list, if for nothing else than to see what's available and at FAIR prices.

9. Michel L

Michel L Auditioning

I can totally recommend Eric Lang from Projection Systems. He sells on eBay under the name Quaturbo. My friend and I have bought two 1272's with line doublers, screens, etc. Great person to deal with, very knowledgable, and totally trustworthy. As for the quality of the picture, line doubled DVD's on a 120" screen make the movie theater a thing of the past.....way better quality at home! And you can get pretty close to the $2K figure, but $2500 is more realistic because you MUST have the doubler. We both use the iScan Pro.

10. Jeff_M

Jeff_M Stunt Coordinator

You can't beat the quality of a good CRT, but if you are more of a movie watcher than an installer/tweaker, I wouldn't count out digital projectors. I can personally vouch for the stellar picture that a used NEC LT150 (under 2 grand on ebay) can give you when combined with a progessive scan dvd player. Awesome!

11. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

If you use a progressive scan dvd player will that not improve on the scan lines?

I know for sure that an HTPC will get rid of the scan lines, right?

12. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I will second the NEC LT150. I bought it brand new for $2k last fall and I have loved every minute of it. Beautiful picture for the price. Definately hook it up to a HTPC which might run another $500 if you are starting from scratch.

13. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Does the NEC LT150 do black or is it gray? Can you really tell the differance?

14. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

in reference to Michel L's recommendation to Eric Lang (Quaturbo). i have not done business with Eric, but he also has a good reputation on AVS, both for technical knowledge and for his sales.

15. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

16. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

LaMarcus,
    I have two rows of seating in my HT. Front row is 11 feet from the screen. This is about where THX says it should be, but it still feels a tad close for a 100" diagonal screen. The back seat is more comfy for my eyes, but I can do both.
    I bought my 1272 from ebay, but only after investing MANY hours on AVS forum researching and understanding what I was buying. Even then, I waited for the right deal and bought from someone I could DRIVE to, that way I could inspect the CRTs for burn BEFORE I paid and handle the shipping myself.
    Buying from Curt and other respected people on AVS Forum is a WISE MOVE, but you will pay more to reduce risk. I was willing to educate myself and take the risk, and it paid off with a very good deal.
    FYI, I feed the 1272 with an HTPC, and the image is incredible. 1272 + HTPC + screen was about 2000 total package in my case. As one poster already mentioned, I can't stand the picture quality in a theater anymore... much better at home.
    If you are interested in digital technology, the NEC should be on your shortlist. See if you can find someone near your who has a 7" CRT projector, an NEC, and maybe a couple of others, and check them out. Each choice has its shortcomings in this price range, so you should take the one that has the shortcomings you can most easily live with. It all depends on your priorities.
    Enjoy the hunt!! Making your selection should be part of the fun.
    John G[​IMG]

17. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Great advice guys, I really appreciate it!

John, you really got a awesome deal, geez, I wish I could be so lucky. What type of screen do you have? What's the gain on it (not that I really understand "gain" anyway). I do no that the gain has a effect on reflections and black level correct?

18. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

I'm currently using a DaLite Model B pull-down screen. 7 feet wide x 7 feet tall (I can shorten the screen for 16:9 if I want). I had to do some legwork on this, but I found an AV Rental place that had an old, used screen gathering dust in a store-room, and they let me have it for $50. You can buy the same (or similar) screen for around $200 new online.

This was an entry-level choice for me, and I'll probably upgrade later. My main beef is that the screen doesn't lay completely flat, which creates an occasional problem with convergence and horizontal panning. Normally, not noticeable. Ideal would be a fixed screen in a good frame, but this definitely got me started cheap, and I'm very happy.

I think the gain is 1.1, but I can't be sure since I bought it used. Gain, as I understand it, enhances the brightness or contrast of the image. High gain can create certain side effects, however, that I'm not really educated enough to describe. Colors can be altered, viewing angle can be compromised, etc. Some technologies require different gain, but for a CRT, the most commonly recommended ranges I see on AVS are 1.1 to 1.3.

If you decide to go CRT, good deals can be had. Just make sure you educate yourself well so you will recognize the good deal vs. the dog deal when it comes along, and make sure you're willing to accept CRT's limitations. The positive tradeoff is the best picture available for the price, IMO.

John G

19. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I love your speakers by the way John, I did some reading on those...nice. A lil too steap for my pockets, but nice none the less. I'm going with the Jbl S-series I can get LCR and surround back and side for around 5 hundered.

20. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Those JBL's certainly seem to be popular! I'd love to demo them someday.

The nOrh 4.0's are what I started with, and I got 5 of them directly from nOrh for $850. I have seen these used for $600-ish.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with those JBL's tho. :)

If you're ever in Alabama (my new home), feel free to drop by for a demo. It's always fun to chat with fellow HT buffs.

John G