1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap projector mount

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kamil_k, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Kamil_k

Kamil_k Extra

The title describes both me and my mission. I am appalled, even if not rightfully so, by the prices charged for a piece of metal with holes drilled in it. (OK, engineers, fire away).

Anyway, all I need is the plate to mount a given (not selected yet) projector to the ceiling (actually, a tray box, but same difference). I see there are some universal projector mounts coming from Omni-Mount which are slightly lower priced.

Was wondering if anyone has been in the same boat and made one of these in their shop, adapted something from Home Depot, etc. Failing that, what is the most economical place to shop for these things?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

heck I used a piece of plywood and found bolts that fit the threads of the projector. I mounted the plywood with brackets and used rubber washers to level the proj on the plywood. total cost, $3

[​IMG]

3. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

Uni-strut is the cheapest choice if you are looking to hang a CRT projector and you have access to the ceiling joists.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I made mine out of a handicap rail (allowing a big range of mounting locations, since I've switched projectors almost 10 times in the last 3 years and got sick of making/buying new mounts) and about $60 worth of plexiglass from a local store.

[​IMG]

The plate that holds the projector is made from very thick tinted glass looking plexi with rounded polished edges. Screws hold the projector and allow for height and tilt adjustment. The 4 blocks holding the rail are custom carved and polished from plexi as well.