What's new

Cheap Powered Sub for around $250 MSRP? (1 Viewer)

Joe_Brown

Auditioning
hey guys whats a decent cheap sub for like $250 MSRP, i am gonna put to gether a cheap system for my bedroom......i was looking at the KLH 15 inch 200 watt sub @ bestbuy for $250.....

Jack Keck

Second Unit
You could check out the DLS 10 inch sub from Parts Express. For $250, you could get tow of them. Including shipping. With about $20.00 left over.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Sony SA-WM40. Lots of people recommend it; but I actually bought one and tweaked it. Better than no sub, for sure! I put the sub on a thick wire frame left over from some hanging file-folder contraption; it acts like spiked feet into the carpet and makes a small difference. Also nailed some of that packing-type egg-crate foam on the inside walls and now it sounds a little better still. Great for movies and even good for some music (Madonna but not Metallica). Got it for $190 at BB.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I for one love my Sony SA WM40. It still sounds amazing with music and DVD's after over a year of use.

They were on sale for $189 at Best Buy at one time.

If you're lucky Sears will price match the cheapest price you can find for one on the net.

If you read reviews of KLH stuff at audioreview.com you'll find that most of the subs get poor reviews. I think KLH is considered the low low end of HT stuff.

Good luck

Alfer

Oscar_R

Second Unit
I got the Sony sub as well. Sounds better than I ever expected. It really made a difference for my system considering how little money I had left over after getting my receiver.

Pete K

Agent
For just 50 bucks more find someone you know in the military and have them go to the post exchange and get you a slammin' Klipsch.

Paul Allen Keatley

Auditioning
You almost can't go wrong as long as you have some placement options and can acquire some polyfill. Left or right corner on same wall as mains and a couple of pounds of polyfill from Wal-Mart or other stores you will be set.BB has specials for 150 dollars and with any luck Sears will price match web pricing.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Depending on what you will be using the powered sub for, I would highly recommend the Energy S-8.2. It's a small sub with an 8" driver powered by a 100 watt amp. It will let you bypass all its internal filters. It's extremely good for music, but marginal for home theater. The MSRP for the Energy sub is $300.00, although I have seen them at $200.00. For home theater, the forementioned Sony and the JBL PB-10 would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread