What's new

Cheap Multi Room Amp? (1 Viewer)

Chris Svensson

Auditioning
I have a friend that has a mid range Harmon Kardon receiver with mutltiroom outputs.

In his billard room, he has two simple in-ceiling speakers that the builders have run cable to his entertainment center for.

Obviously, he needs to run his multiroom outs to some sort of amp, and then the amp needs to power the billiard room speakers.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a super cheap amp that can handle some music from his receiver?

I've been looking around but all I've been finding are 5 and 7 channel amps that have been costing more than his receiver.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Probably what you are looking for is something like a pro amp, which can be found really cheap. If you are not too concerned about sound quality (and the billiard room doesn't exactly sound like a critical listening environment) I would recommend one of the cheap Crown, QSC, Samson, or any other kind of pro sound amp, as they will be able to put out lots of clean power.
A good site to go is pssl.com or on Ebay. Also, another good thing is that pro amps tend to be really sturdy and almost impossible to kill, given that they are designed for the rigors of being on the road. Good luck.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris,

For this situation I’d go with a vintage stereo receiver or integrated amp. Your friend can find them on e-Bay or any pawn shop for probably well under $150.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
How about the Harman/Kardon PA-2000 amp? 4 channels x 45 watts per channel. The price should not be too bad for this amp. Also, check out eBay to see what the used auction prices have been for this amp.

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the used Adcom amps on audiogon:

GFA-235: 60w by 2 for $165
(has binding posts for two pairs of speakers)

GFA-2535: 60w x 4 or 60w x 2 + 200w x1 for $195

These amps were introduced 10+ years ago, received great reviews, and are still highly regarded by many.

Note:
I have a GFA-2535 that is powering my center and surround speakers, all of which are 4 ohm. They can play loud and clean.

Regards,
Anthony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks