Cheap learning remote?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hostettler, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

Just looked into my stepson's room today. Between his shelf stereo system, his outboard CD carousel, his TV and his Xbox, he's starting to get a pile of remotes that's ready to rival my own!

Now, I'm not ready to get him a Sony AV-2000 (or 2100) like the one to my HT... but I'd like to get him a simpler one.

I've checked RemoteCentral.com, and got a few ideas. But they seem to concentrate on the higher end of the price spectrum.

Any recommendations?

2. John*S

John*S Agent

Todd,

If you can find them, the discontinued Radio Shack 15-1994 has been very popular with HT users. It comes preprogrammed with quite a few devices but is also a learning remote. Though its instructions claim only 4 keys are for learning, you can actually program any key. It also handles Advanced Features. There is an incredible amount of support for it on the internet. They are made of a very nice soft-touch material so feel like very high quality. Finally, they are backlit -- a nice touch.

I recently looked around and bought two, one for a Christmas gift. If you can find them, they're only $19.95 (used to be $39.95).

Because they are "last generation", it's possible it won't contain codes for some newer equipment. For example, that Christmas gift went to my brother-in-law who has an RCA HT- in-a-box system. I got it because his RCA preprogrammed but non-learning remote couldn't do certain cable box commands so he always had to use two remotes. The 15-1994 didn't have the codes for it.

Normally this wouldn't matter too much because it can learn commands. In this case however, the RCA had some kind of funky way to turn it off, by pushing a key twice. I couldn't get the 15-1994 to learn it so had to improvise with a different logic of "turning off" the system. In my improvisation, it switches to the TV input which is null then turns off the TV. The receiver actually stays on, but no picture or sound so it seems off. Sounds hokey but it works well.

Another option I discovered -- at Remotecentral.com -- but couldn't find in the stores was the Sony ML-700. It's $39.95 and sounds like it has the same functionality as the Radio Shack. Because it's newer, it may have more components preprogrammed.

Good luck!

3. MikeLobos

MikeLobos Extra

Todd,

You should look at Radio Shack's new remotes. I am thinking about getting the 6 in 1 remote (#15-2104). It is a learning remote that can control up to 6 devices. It is backlite. The really cool feature is that it has a 2 color backlight that only lights up the buttons on the remote that correspond to the device currently in use. I think it is on sale now for $29.99.

MikeLobos

4. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Todd,

There was one of these (1994) for sale on remotecentral.com's for sale area. They are a very good remote. If you can't find the rat shack, it is a clone of the One for All Cinema 7 (I think, just no backlight and the 1994 has a better feel. Make sure it's learning capable.

Jim L

5. MikeLobos

MikeLobos Extra

test

6. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    font envy?
    That is a damn large font, try a little smaller.
    [​IMG]
    Jon

7. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Todd,
    I have to agree with the Radio Shack 15-1994. I just found another one, in a store 40 miles away ($19.95). I have one to run my HT and this one will be for my bedroom components.
    Here's a good thread with additional links about the 15-1994 from HTF's Hardware Archive forum:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ghlight=151994
    Also, http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml is a site dedicated to this remote. There are many ADVANCED codes listed here that will allow you to perform equipment functions not originally built into the 15-1994.
    For example, I recently upgraded to a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player. The Panasonic code that was built into the remote, did not perform some of the functions of the RP-91. By inserting these ADVANCED codes and assigning them to whichever button on the 15-1994 I wanted, I recreated the RP-91 remote layout on to the Radio Shack remote. This method is preferred because the learning function uses more memory.
    This remote for twenty bucks is worth the hunt. It feels comfortable in your hand and is blue backlit as well.
    [​IMG]
    -Gary

8. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

Thank you, gentlemen. Time to haunt my local Shacks.

9. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Todd,

If you do find one of these, head over to remotecentral.com and read some of the posts in the forum. Basically the instructions don't tell you HALF of what this remote is capable of. Do some research and you'll be pleased.

Jim L

10. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Todd, here's a review I wrote on Radio Shack's replacement for the 15-1994 a few months ago....hope it helps.
    Vin

11. MikeLobos

MikeLobos Extra

test

12. MikeLobos

MikeLobos Extra

Sorry everyone for the extremely large font. I have finally licked the problem.

MikeLobos