Cheap International Long Distance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Tallen, Aug 24, 2002.

1. David Tallen

David Tallen Stunt Coordinator

Like many others, I am reviewing my current telephone expenses and long distance rates. I don't make a lot of long distance calls, but I do call my cousin in Eastern Australia about once a month from my home in Minneapolis. My regular long distance carrier, AT&T offers an international plan that costs $2.00 pre month plus $0.17 per minute to Australia, which I am using. I pay $0.09 per minute for calls within the USA. If I use my cell phone for calls within the USA, I don't pay anything extra.

Last month I spent about $13 for calls to Australia and about $3.50 for long distance within the USA. AT&T tacked on about another $5 in various fees and taxes! There must be a better way.

I am thinking about dumping my land-line long distance altogether and using my cell phone for calls within the USA and buying a phone card for international calls. Do any of you have any advice regarding this approach? Do you know of any international phone cards that you would recommend? Although price is important, I am willing to pay a little more for good service and no hidden charges. Thanks for your input.

2. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

You can get an AT&T phone card from Sam's Club or similar for $20 for 600 minutes. I think the rate doubles for international calls, so instead of 3.9 cents a minute you pay 8 cents or whatever. No monthly fee, either. I and many people I know have canceled long distance altogether on our home phones and just use the cards when not using the cell phone.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter