Cheap Home Theater review of nOrh 4.0's is up - one question though. . .

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TysonN, Aug 8, 2001.

1. TysonN

TysonN Agent

After reading the review, which seemed incredibly positive regarding the speaker's performance, I am a bit puzzled by the 4/5 rating. The rather glowing review of the performance would seem to warrant a 5/5, so I am wondering if it was knocked down to a 4/5 ONLY becuase the staff did not like the looks?
    BTW, I thought you guys did an awesome job understanding and explaining the sound of these speakers - that is exactly what I hear as well. . .

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Tyson, nothing really personal, but? is your whole life revolved around promoting Norh speakers? I can absolutely understand chatting about them, defending their performance a bit but, i kinda have to wonder wasssssssssssuuppppppppp? You love your speakers.... are you getting a kickback?
    - Chip
    ------------------

3. TysonN

TysonN Agent

"is your whole life revolved around promoting Norh speakers?"
    No.
    "are you getting a kickback?"
    No.

4. Steve Satch

Steve Satch Stunt Coordinator

Just read the review and it's hard to say which they liked better overall, the nOrh or the HTD level III towers. Reading between the lines, I think the review might suggest HTD over the nOrh for music but I'm not sure. Can't wait for the all out shootout, although I'll probably place my order before it comes out.
    [Edited last by Steve Satch on August 08, 2001 at 07:41 PM]

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I apologize, i'm really dilerious after pouring over 200 yards of crete today Tyson. I'm so beat , every time i pull my arms near my chest, i have to fightn to get them back out, lol... 100 degrees here in South Jersey today, i'm wiped. I do appreciate your enthusiasm. Sorry man, my bad.
    - Chip
    ------------------

6. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

This is a weird review...
    Not one mention of enclosure...or the drivers used. And of all things, to compare the nOrhs to the HTD towers??? Of course the HTD towers will have a bigger sound and more bass...the 4.0s were designed to use a sub! Why not compare them to the Ascend Acoustics??
    I am also surprised about the looks (btw, he erred as those are ceramics, not marbles) as I have had 20-30 people over to my place, and never have I received a "these are ugly" type response.
    Oh yeah, I would think these have a higher WAF than box speakers...chicks don't dig on black boxes...and even less on tower speakers.
    At least he did agree they sound good...they do!

7. TysonN

TysonN Agent

Chip E,
    No worries man. I am actually just as enthusiastic about my SVS 16-46 (which I am switching back and forth between the 16hz and 20hz tuning on). But SVS already has a ton of people posting about how extremely happy they are with them. In other words, it is a very well known bargain amongst subwoofers. The nOrhs (IMO) are a comparable bargain among main speakers, and are not as well known. I love both my SVS and nOrhs equally, but post on the nOrhs more for the stated reasons.

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Tyson, your right and, i'll probably be touting my new CatCables somewhat when i get them.... There the coolest looking addition to my HT i've ordered from the net (besides my SVS 20-39PC [​IMG] )
    - Chip
    ------------------

9. TysonN

TysonN Agent

Speaking of looks, I always get a kick out of when people come over for the 1st time & watch a movie. They always notice the marble nOrhs first - you can see they are intrigued, the are like, "Hmm, those look kinda cool, are they the speakers?" At which point I usually start explaining about where I got them, how they are made, etc. . . BUT I never get to finish my explanation because right at that moment they catch site of the SVS in the corner and the reaction is always, "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!?" I love it :)

10. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Yes, I would really like to see them review the HTD Level III bookshelfs, not towers. It would give a much better perspective of their comparitive take on them and the Ascend Acoustics' and the Norh's and the JBL's and whatever else.
    In that exact review they reference the rear port of the 4.0's causing placement issues not encountered with the HTD towers. Well, the HTD bookshelves, which directly compete with these Norhs are rear ported, what about placement issues with those? And while they point out the use of the Onkyo 595 and Outlaw 1050 for their testing, there is no mention of how each reciever sounded with the Norh's. And I don't understand the oft mentioned problem these guys have with the appearance of the Outlaw 1050, again referenced in this review. I have never read of anyone except them having an issue with the 1050's appearance (which, subjectively, I find far superior to the Onkyo's).
    No disrespect to the folks at Cheap Home Theater, I just feel that the reviews could be a lot more informative, based on their appreciated efforts.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.
    [Edited last by Scott H on August 08, 2001 at 10:26 PM]

11. JoelW

JoelW Stunt Coordinator

I'll see if I can address some of the questions/concerns about this review...

12. TysonN

TysonN Agent

One more question- what sub did you use with them? I didn't see one mentioned in the review, maybe I missed it?
    Since you are taking feedback, I do have one suggestion that is more of a general suggestion for bookshelf speaker reviews. More feedback on how they sound specifically with a sub is appreciated. Most people that buy bookshelf speakers are gonna end up with a sub, particlularly with a HT setup. How do the speakers sound w/the sub, how easy are they to blend, how seamless of a transition were you able to achieve with this speaker vs. that speaker, etc. . . . These are things that I think would be very helpful to a reader.
    Thanks for clarifying the 4/5 rating for me.
    Official CHT review capsule for the nOrh 4.0:
    Butt Ugly, Sound Great! [​IMG]

13. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I thought it's supposed to be "butt naked" and "buck ugly". Just kidding. ;^)

14. Steve Satch

Steve Satch Stunt Coordinator

Joel, you wrote:
    " but currently, our favorite speaker is the HTD Tower."
    Can I ask if the HTD tower is *still* the CHT favorite? It seems the nOhr bested it in many categories. Also, just in general, for reviews I'd love a bit more on how products sound with music. I love how you are willing to compare products though as many people won't compare.

15. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

JoelW, thanks for responding.

16. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Gotta say I agree with all of the above. A speaker that rolls off at 65-70Hz is IMO going to sound thin without a sub.
    The 4.0's with a sub and the HTD speakers with a sub would make a decent comparison, but you are essentially comparing apples to oranges, regardless of price.

17. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I read the review earlier this evening, and like many of you, I was surprised to see that the nOrhs got a 4 out of 5, based on the high praise they've received from the owners of this forum. I'm even more surprised that the looks of the speakers ultimately dragged down the score since I think they look pretty damn cool myself, and I've only seen them in pictures! Ah well, to each their own I guess. A lot of people think Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson are hot, but I'm not one of them. Doesn't mean I'm crazy, does it?
    For those of you interested in a direct comparison between the HTD Level III bookshelves and the nOrh 4.0's, I might be able to help. My friend Ben just received his own nOrhs yesterday, and as many of you know, I'm a proud owner of an HTD Level III set. I was planning on going over to his place this Sunday to check them out. If it interests any of you, I can bring along a pair of my HTD Level III mains and we can do a side-by-side comparison.
    Sound good?
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!

18. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

The 4.0's really need at least 80 hours to break in. Before 80 hours, they sound good. At 80 hours they start sounding very good. At 150 hours they peak and level out at excellent. I would say let them run in a bit before doing a comparison. But I think a lot of people would be very interested in hearing your results. . . .

19. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

To each reviewer, their own I guess! Wait till the Norh 4.0s break in after 80+ hours- you will find a remarkable improvement in their performance. Of course you need to use a sub with 4.0!!
    I have to say that Norh 4.0 is one of the best values for an entry level HT AND music system.
    Oh yeah why am I so pumped up about Norhs? I own the 5.1/4.0 Norh system and they look and sound great. The first feedback I got from the looks of my speakers was they were 'pieces of art'!
    Jeff-looking forward towards your review/comparisons [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Kishore
    P.S.- Also check out another upcoming company here besides Norhs
    [Edited last by Kishu on August 09, 2001 at 04:28 AM]

20. JoelW

JoelW Stunt Coordinator