What's new

Cheap HDTV Tuner (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I am looking for a really cheap HDTV tuner for my Mits RPTV. TV is not that important to me, I watch far more DVDs than TV so I really don't want to spend a lot of money for a tuner. Any suggestions?

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
You can often find demo units of the older Samsungs for cheap at Best Buy. I got the SIR-T150 that way and it's worked well. Great unit.

SeanA

Second Unit
If you are just looking for OTA reception, I got the Samsung SIR-T151 from Amazon for $310 shipped. It is current generation and so far, I am very pleased with its performance.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a floor model Samsung SIR t-150x for $299.00 (San Francisco Bay area) the other day and it works quite well. It has an rgb output which the newer version SIR T-151 doesn't have. That's VERY helpful to me since I can leave the component cables connected to my DVD player and the RGB to the Samsung and both will plug in to my projector. I don't know if the internal components are identical but at that price I'm not complaining. On a related note I suggest an outdoor antenna. The indoor models (rabbit ears, etc.) aren't worth the grief.

SeanA

Second Unit
On a related note I suggest an outdoor antenna. The indoor models (rabbit ears, etc.) aren't worth the grief.
Well I am here to say that an indoor antenna can do the job if you don't have a choice. I am able to pull in all but one of the local HD broadcasts, and the one I can't pull in is a very weak signal that few can pick up (including outdoor antennas).

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Well, I guess it will be a while before I get an HDTV tuner. I really only want to spend $200 or less, preferably less. Like I said, TV is low on the totem pole. Given the choice to watch broadcast TV (I only have basic cable and don't want any more than the 14 channels I get with it) and watching a DVD, I will choose the DVD every time. It would just be nice to get the network broadcasts in HD if I could. It is just is not worth $300+ to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks