What's new

"cheap" HDTV thoughts... (1 Viewer)

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Noticed this HDTV at Circuit City...

Zenith C27V36 27" Direct View HDTV-Ready TV

Features:

27-inch direct view HDTV-ready TV with fine pitch tube; 32.2 x 23.6 x 20.4 inches (W x H x D)
Faroudja DVDi Line Doubler eliminates jagged lines and artifacts, creating a sharper, crisper picture
DVI with HDCP input allows transfer of high definition video from a digital display source to device.
3D Y/C Comb Filter increases image clarity by decreasing color noise and "dot crawl."
3:2 Pull Down Cinema Correction compensates for framerate difference between film and video.

Asking price was $599.99

This is about how much I was going to spend on the (non HDTV) Sony Wega.

Any thoughts?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Note that the Faroudja doubler, the comb filter, and also the 3:2 pulldown circuits are utilized only by incoming standard definition material.

The HDTV tuner (sold separately if the TV is just HDTV_ready) must do all the processing needed to turn the HDTV channel into a [1080i] baseband video signal that may come in either via component input jacks or a DVI jack.

The $599. TV you mention probably has a lot less resolution. It probably does draw 1080 scan lines in 1080 unique positions and can display a dot on any scan line in any one of 1920 unique positions (1080i is 1920 x 1080 pixels), but most likely for $599. each scan line is more than 1/1080'th (1/600'th?) the screen height in fatness and any one spot can probably be made no smaller than 1/1000'th (1/800'th?) the screen width. For $599, there are probably other deficiencies too such as straight lines not quite straight or uniformly spaced dots or lines not quite uniform, or not so good convergence near the edges.

Unfortunately I don't know of any good HDTV test patterns.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Since I will use this TV for 80-90% dvds would I be better off getting a SONY WEGA instead? I want the best possible picture for dvds out of a 27" set.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor

I would say definitely not! I own the C27V36, and thus far I am very happy with it. I've only had it for a few weeks, but the picture on this thing is stunning given its size and price. I've watched a few DVDs on it (Curb your Enthusiasm and Finding Nemo) which are very different types of transfers, and both looked beautiful. Once you calibrate it, SDTV looks great. I haven't had a look at the HD yet (waiting for my box to arrive), but I will report on that when it arrives.

A few things to know about this set:
-There is a slight "buzzing" noise that emits from the TV's speakers even if you are not using the speakers (clearly some sort of interference). It is not audible to me unless I put my ear next to the speaker, but some people report that they can hear it during very quiet scenes in movies. I don't consider this to be an issue at all, but it is something to consider.

-For the money, you will not find a better "future proofed" small TV. Trust me, I've shopped around. With DVI and two component inputs, this thing is pretty versatile.

-This thing is HEAVY. It lists at 100 pounds which is pretty heavy for a 27" set. Unless you are He-man, it will take two people to move without risk of damage.

-The set has a pretty slick looking cabinet. It's basically a copy of the Wega design, and it really looks beautiful in a small home theater.

All in all, I would highly recommend this set. Circuit City often has it on sale for $599, and I think you are far better off with this than a Wega or a Samsung. DVD's look outstanding, and it is far-more future proofed for longevity's sake. I'd say go for it.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply Tom!

Just a couple of questions...

I just recently got a Tivo and I noticed that it gives off a "slight" humming sound. Is the buzzing sound similar? I've heard about the "buzzing sound" from other people also. When I was checking it out at CC I couldn't hear any sound even with my ear up to the speaker, I could be wrong(busy store).

How is the audio side? When watching dvds I will be listening thru my 6.1 setup, but my girlfriend watches ALOT of cable and will be using the tv's speakers. How are they?

Are you using a progressive scan dvd player with this set?

Thanks again!

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
I would say the buzzing is no louder than any normal DVD player, but your mileage may vary. In my opinion, it is a non-issue.

Yes, I am using a good progressive scan player. However, the line doubler in the C27V36 is good enough that even a 480 interlaced image (from a DVD)looks nearly identical. I couldn't tell a difference in an A-B comparison.

I have not listened to anything through the speakers since I watch all TV through my HT system, so I can not attest to their quality. However, if your GF chooses not to watch TV through your 6.1 setup, I would imagine most TV's would have passable sound.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
I have also been considering this TV. I'm the biggest noob @ HDTV. I understand the resolutions, but the BB and CC guys always give me the runaround when it comes to tuning in signals. My current TV provider doesn't (yet) have HDTV, but I do have an X-Box, (soon-to-be) Progressive Scan DVD Player, etc...

What extra equipment is needed to tune these in to HD? I also have a PC right next to the TV w/ DVI-out. Would this be better than a Prog-DVD Player?

John S

Senior HTF Member
There are 3 ways to get your HDTV...

OTA/ATSC - Requires built in tuner, or set top tuner with high definition outputs for your HDTV.

Cable - The provider seems to always include their box, with hi def outputs for your HDTV.

Sat/Dish - You may get your own tuner, or I beleive most have deals that include them.

Right now I only use free OTA. NFL games have been great, but after the super bowl I expect I will be getting Comcast HD. (Cable)

I don't think PC's have surpassed the better stand alone DVD players yet. (I don't have much experience with it though, to be honest)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Kevin,

I'm also *very* impressed with the new Zenith HD direct-view offerings.

Particularly compared to what Sony gives you for the $$$.

But...you should really consider getting the 32" Zenith for ~$800. It has all the same features and more screen.

Unless you planning on sitting *very* close, watching LBX material on a 27" in not very visceral.

I would have bought the 32" already, but it's just slightly too big for my EC.

Stuck with the 27" WEGA, for now.

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased this set last week at CC for my girlfriend. I think it is a great value. This set has a great picture when using comp input from DVD. Directv using SVHS input is hit or miss depending upon the orginal signal from the station. But when its good this set is incrediable for 599.

Yes, mine has the buzz too. but in normal use you can not hear it. I do think it is BS to produce a set with a problem like this but again it is 599 and has a great picture.

I like the fact that it is future proof, I wish we had room for the 32' in our ent center but we did not.
For 599 I think it is the best around. Zenith may be ready for a comeback. It is an awesom set. Hey Zenith get rid of the buzz though.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Dan-
In terms of calibration of this set, I'm not a hardcore calibrater (service menus, etc). Just your basic controls type of stuff. Out of the box, like most TVs, it looks terrible: contrast defaults to 100, etc.

Your basic cal using Avia or DVE will do the trick. The best calibration on this thing is something that is very simple: you can turn velocity modulation off from the main menu! Text is practically unreadable otherwise. My contrast is also turned down quite low to about 18 or 19. Other than that, it's pretty standard and yields a fantastic picture. I'll let you know how things look when I get the HD hooked up to it.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Another thing, for those interested in this set: Consider the C32V37. It has an integrated HD Tuner, integrated QAM digital cable receiver, though I haven't seen the picture on this thing yet. It is a steal at $999. The only reason I couldn't consider this model was size limitations. If you can afford the space, this is another loaded TV with an integrated tuner (the only one I know of for under a grand). It lacks the Faroudja processor that the C32V36 has, but one can get HD of network (unscrambled) stations on this from digital cable without renting the box from the cable company. Just run your cable to this particular set, and it will decode HD CBS, ABC, NBC in your area on a basic digital cable plan. Your milage may vary of course.

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Tom

I basicly have done the same thing as you, I just run the contrast a little higher.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Does that mean you could sign up for digital cable w/HD and not rent any kind of box at all (assuming this is your only TV)?

I have a relative who I'm steering towards the non-tuner Zenith 32", but the savings on box rental might justify the extra $100 at purchase.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Well, I'm sitting about 6-7 feet from my 27" WEGA.

That's about right for Cable, but a little too far for some LBX material.

A 32" at the same distance might be too big for Cable and just right for LBX.

Since I watch mostly movies at night, a 32" would work for me at the moment.

Then again, I'll probably save up for a DLP (this could take awhile..unless I can stop buying DVDs..yea right) and reverse my room arrangement.

I currently sit & view across the short side of a rectangular room and but would rearrange to view across the long side if I had a larger (50") display.

Here's to better days and bigger pictures.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor

Yes, but only if they want non-premium HD (3 main networks). Anything that you can get over the airways should be unscrambled. If you want premium HD (ESPN, HBO, etc), you will still need to rent the company's box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks