What's new

Cheap HDTV Settop box anywhere? (1 Viewer)

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
The cheapest HDTV set top box I have found has been the Samsung SIR-T150 for around $400. It seems like a TON, is there something Im missing? I just want OTA signals.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
the 150 is the only OTA only STB available. it lists for $599 and currently has a $100 rebate from Samsung (i don't know if you are aware of this and have included it in your $400 price.)

Samsung is supposed to release three new STB's in June, including one that will list for $399, i'm thinking when it becomes readily available it'll got for $325-ish.

you can also use any of the DBS units as OTA only, the satellite portion of the box will just be idle. but as you probably have found out, you will need to purchase these as if you are an existing customer, at a higher price than if you wanted to activate a new account.

how's your reception in the valley? i'm on East Hill in Silverton proper and get great analog reception, i'm not yet HD ready.

Derek Bang

Stunt Coordinator
Have you checked your Best Buy for open box items? I got an RCA DTC 100 open box for $120 in Indiana. Thus far I only use it for OTA. I've seen open box items at other Best Buys around $300 also. Good luck!

AllenD

Second Unit
Yes, but you can use a VGA breakout cable if you have RGBHV inputs in you set. Or a VGA to component adapter, aka transcoder.

Derek Bang

Stunt Coordinator
You can get the VGA transcode for under $100 shipped, so a STB for $220 - not bad. Plus, you can use the VGA transcoder to hook up you computer also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks