Cheap HDTV receivers

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jim A. Banville, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but my local Sam's has the Samsung HDTV receiver for $289. Seems pretty cheap to me [​IMG]

2. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Which Samsung receiver ? Samsung makes more than one model. If it is the SIR-T151, than that is a pretty good price. I bought this receiver about 3 months back for $310 at Amazon, and now it is selling for $300.

If it is the T165 or TS160, than $290 is a great price.

3. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

it's the 151.

4. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

How good is this receiver and does it come in black.

5. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

I bought the Samsung 151 and want to know how it compares to the Zenith 420 which is $50 more on Amazon and can do cable (although my cable operator may not support it correct?)

The Zenith says it is 4th gen, what gen is the Samsung. I like the Samsung but not sure i am lacking a feature i may like.

6. Steve_Cohen

Steve_Cohen Stunt Coordinator

If I buy one of these what HD channels will I get if I have basic analog cable with no cable box. I have comcast in CT.

Thanks

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The channels you get is highly dependent on the reception strength of an antenna (indoor, or outdoor) connected to the HDTV ATSC Receiver, and how far you are from the broadcast towers.

www.antennaweb.org is a good place to find out what stations near you (via your zip code) can be received (given the right antenna/reception.

Having a cable TV connection doesn't have much bearing on what HDTV channels you can receiver OTA (over the air).

But since you do have Comcast, you might be able to get HDTV through Comcast, but you'll have to upgrade to one of their digital packages, and you'll get most probably the Motorola 5100 as the new Cable box which would allow you to receive some of the HDTV content now available through Comcast.

Just FYI: I'm a Comcast customer in Georgia, and have opted to stick with the analog cable feed, and use a Samsung SIR-T165 for my HDTV receiver. I'm not all that crazy about having to use cable decoder boxes to do the tuning on the digital cable signals yet.

8. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    For a review of the Zenith 420 (w/ brief comparisons to the Sammy 151), check here:

http://www.projectorexpert.com/Pages/zenith.html

Seems like there are some pros and cons to choosing the Zenith over Sammy.

BTW, that Amazon GC deal won't work for the Sammy tuner since the tuner is actually sold by J&R (through Amazon). I checked the deal out for the Canon G3 digicam and found that out. Also, you don't need to go to Dealcatcher to see that deal. Check HTF's own Deal's Page for that here (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/deals/deals.html).

_Man_

10. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

11. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

The Samsung is an OTA only receiver. If you want to add DirecTV HD into the mix, the Hughes E86 is at Circuit City for $499 with a $100 rebate. This is a great deal!

Steve,

It all depends on where you are and what you are using for equipment. I live in Farmington and I can pick up six HD stations with my Hughes E-86 a Winegard UHF/VHF attic antenna with rotor. WFSB-DT, WTNH-DT, WCTX-DT, WTXX-DT, as well as WGBH-DT and WWLP-DT from Springfield MA. If you live closer to NYC you may lose some of these but pick up some of the NYC DT and the southern CT PBS stations. Providence is also on-line in some capacity if you live out that way.

Ralph