Cheap Faroudja DCDi DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John S, Jan 20, 2004.

1. John S

John S Producer

Sharp DV-S2U DCDi for $99
    Well, I have been back and forth and back and forth on getting a new DVD player. Hard call because my current cheapie 480i with component out has seemed outstanding letting the TV provide the Progressive Scan.

Ahhh but of course, just knowing it may be able to be improved upon was driving me crazy.

So I figure $99 is cheap enough for a little peice of mind.
    I ordered it from this link. I will post back on it once I receieve it, should be by the weekend, maybe.

http://www.streetprices.com/Electron.../SP820965.html

I have not been able to find out much information on this DCDi player, so any comments on it would be most welcome.

2. John S

John S Producer

3. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I grabbed a Mitsubishi DD-8040 for $215 at Tweeter. It was the last one in the store so I don't know if its going the way of the old Panasonics.

4. John S

John S Producer

I want to much in a high end player.
    SACD, DVD-A, DCDi, and everything else.

So for me, it was either spend a bunch and get what I want, or go ahead and blow off the $100 just to see what DCDi 480p looks like on widescreen movies on a native 16:9 set.

My current player is a cheapie 480i using the component out, and letting the TV do the Progressive Scan, the TV is a 4:3 set, and in this mode, I think it wastes a lot of resolution, even though DVD looks really great on it.

If I go 480p component out, I can run it into my HDTV component input that offers a true native widescreen mode, where you set your DVD and/or HD devices such as you had a native widescreen set. But you have to feed it 480p or higher.

No DVD-A, no SACD, but hey it was only $100, Hopefully it will still give me a good taste of what DCDi is all about.

I think I am waiting for a massive changer that I can dedicate to these newer audio formats. I would hope that it would also be able to somehow seemlessly handle redbook CD's too.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

That cheap Sharp model has a lot of problems as reported by several owners on the forums. So I wouldn't go by it if the quality isn't what you expect.

6. John S

John S Producer

I did some searches and a post on it. It actually seemed most were pleased with it.

I'll try again, thanks for the input on it.

I did some more searches here on it... And found 6 favorable reviews / comments and not one negative.

I actually feel much better about the player now....

7. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Try it out, you got to love 30-day return policies!

I tried several (Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic) before I ended up with the Denon DVD-910. Great unit, even if the case and the tray is a little bit cheap, it's the picture that counts.

8. John S

John S Producer

In further research people claim it also has a fairly respected MP decoder too, in adition to DCDi....

The bag on it consistently seems to be any other use than DVD. It is rated poor on almost every other function.

9. John S

John S Producer

Dang thing, I just UPS tracked it. Won't be here til like Tuesday.. UUHHGGG

10. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I'll be selling my Sharp once my Sony megachanger arrives next week.

It's an OK player. Not much more than that. Looks nice tho.

11. John S

John S Producer

What Sony did you go with?
    I do plan on a SACD / DVD-A megaplayer at some point in my future.

Heck, thanks for the post, I happy to hear it is at least regaurded as an OK player by somebody. What would you list as it's cons? Picture Quality? Artifacts? Layer Changes? Sound Drop outs? DTS / DD format issues? Worth $99? lol

Do you use it on Component Video 480p out? I ask because a lot of people still use Svideo, and that certainly would not be any measure of its video performance.

Heck I have a hard time convincing most people with existing HT setups that have HDTV's to even try to use Component Video instead of the Svideo I find them using currently.

12. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I went for the DVP-CX985V which is Sony's new 400 disc model. It has SACD. There are no megachangers with both DVD-A and SACD yet. It was only $335 so I went for it. From what I've heard the 985 has VG-Excellent PQ, almost as good as Faroudja. (rumor has it the more expensive Sony 777 has Faraudja components and the 985 might as well). We'll see.

Yes, I have a HDTV. The DV-S2 is the best looking standalone player I've owned. It has some minor problems (like random subtitles occasionally appearing) but nothing glaring. Othewise it's a pretty bare-bones player.

If anyone wants it PM.

13. John S

John S Producer

I'll be holding off on it, til the product I really want exists, for $500 or so.

Thanks for the subtitle heads up. I did read that in one other post on it.

The player is supposedy Sharp Factory Refurbished, so maybe they did a firmware upgrade on it to help with that some. Then again maybe not.. lol

14. John S

John S Producer

I did receive thsi player and have put it through some paces now....

The video seems great on it, jaggies are really smoothed out with it over my 480i cheapie non progressive scan player allowing the TV to do the progressive scan.

The DCDi does really do the trick, on fluid motion as well.
    Even where I knew there was some bad edits during the film transfer, as it smoothed those right out too.

But alas, my HDTV does not handle 480p as I thought it would, so unless it is something I can defeat in the service menu, I guess I am on a hunt for a player I can afford that can scale to 1080i out the component video ports and has DCDi too. I guess such a player would do 480p 1st then scale it to 1080i in my perfect world. lol

My 4:3 HDTV allows for native widescreen but only on 1080i sources as it turns out. On 480p sources it does not seem to give me any sort of anamorphic squeeze at all though. Locks in full and on my set that happens to mean full 4:3 format.

15. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

John, my Sony direct view HDTV does what you are describing too with a progressive signal. Instead of using the auto-squeeze with progressive, you have to manually deal with it. So, I don't bother. I play interlaced from the player to that set - the TV has a good line doubler.

N

16. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

"I guess I am on a hunt for a player I can afford that can scale to 1080i out the component video ports and has DCDi too."

Sorry John, that player doesn't exist and probably never will. The DVD forum does not allow 1080i scaling out component. LiteOn had to stop selling the LVD-2001 in the USA because of this. There are a few Chinese players that can scale to 1080i out component, but none of them have DCDi. Using 1080i with my LiteOn and a Sony RPTV I don't see any need for DCDi.

You might want to look into the Momitsu V880 that does 1080i with both DVI and component outputs.

17. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

The LG DV7832 has been reported to upconvert to 720p and 1080i via BOTH DVI and component outputs. I believe that it lists in Canada for CAD$299 (~US$225). So far, the only confirmed dealers are in Ontario, Canada.

Dave

18. John S

John S Producer

I did only find the one Ontario Dealer...

The player does look pretty good...

It says CDi video processing chip, I would assume that is DCDi???

$299 can$?? geeesh, that must be real cheap US$

I may just have to call them today and talk to them about this one... Looks promising. Of course if I had known about this particular functionality of my HDTV, I would have just tried to find something like this to start with.

I probably know some people that would be happy to take my new Sharp off my hands for basically what I paid for it.
    I do like the player very much, the biggest draw back is it does not allow different Faroudja modes, I would assume it is in Cinema pulldown all the time.