Cheap dvd player with the best layer change and downcoversion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanN, Sep 15, 2001.

1. DanN

DanN Agent

Ok, i'm going to pick up a dvd player in a few weeks and basically the only 2 features i really care about is how well the player handles layer changes and the anomorphic downconversion (unfortunately, i have no 16x9 mode on my TV)
    because this is my second dvd player, i'm looking in the low end - anywhere between $150 - $300. so...suggestions?

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Panasonic...use them, trust them.
    Right now, I'm using an RV30. It's very easy to use, handles layered discs with ease, & produces a stunning picture. My primary DVD player, the RV80, is even better.
    This year, Pansonic has replaced the RV30 with the RV31 which adds CDR/W and MP3 support, better on-screen menus, improved loading mechanism (the old is still great), and fancier front fascia. MSRP, $200.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I second the Panasonic RV31. Beautiful picture, great flexibility, short pause on layer changes, handles seamless branching well, and is just a generally killer budget player. And Pannys don't have the chroma bug. I've had mine for a few months now, and I'm still impressed with it.

4. DanN

DanN Agent

thanks guys - it looks like the Panasonic is the way to go
    now it's just a matter of deciding whether i want silver or black [​IMG]

5. Han

Han Second Unit

I guess the Denon 800 which is MSRP at $299 would fit the bill if it doesn't have problems like the 2800 and 4800 initially have. The 800 has a 3MB buffer which should be nearly as good as the 4MB buffered 2800 and 4800 players at layer changing.