1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap dvd player with the best layer change and downcoversion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanN, Sep 15, 2001.

1. DanN

DanN Agent

Ok, i'm going to pick up a dvd player in a few weeks and basically the only 2 features i really care about is how well the player handles layer changes and the anomorphic downconversion (unfortunately, i have no 16x9 mode on my TV)
    because this is my second dvd player, i'm looking in the low end - anywhere between $150 - $300. so...suggestions?

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Panasonic...use them, trust them.
    Right now, I'm using an RV30. It's very easy to use, handles layered discs with ease, & produces a stunning picture. My primary DVD player, the RV80, is even better.
    This year, Pansonic has replaced the RV30 with the RV31 which adds CDR/W and MP3 support, better on-screen menus, improved loading mechanism (the old is still great), and fancier front fascia. MSRP, $200.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I second the Panasonic RV31. Beautiful picture, great flexibility, short pause on layer changes, handles seamless branching well, and is just a generally killer budget player. And Pannys don't have the chroma bug. I've had mine for a few months now, and I'm still impressed with it.

4. DanN

DanN Agent

thanks guys - it looks like the Panasonic is the way to go
    now it's just a matter of deciding whether i want silver or black [​IMG]

5. Han

Han Second Unit

I guess the Denon 800 which is MSRP at $299 would fit the bill if it doesn't have problems like the 2800 and 4800 initially have. The 800 has a 3MB buffer which should be nearly as good as the 4MB buffered 2800 and 4800 players at layer changing.