Cheap DVD player to go with X1

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by NickSo, Dec 16, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have right now a Toshiba SD-2109 DVD player thats still going strong, and an X1 on order...

The 2109's getting long in the tooth, and im considering picking up a cheap DVD player to go with it. Something along the lines of $100-$200CAD, preferably something I can pick up locally at FutureShop or A&Bsound.

I hear the JVC XVN40BK has gamma control which will help adjust the black level of the X1...

If I get one of these players, would it be better to go Progressive Scan and use the player's deinterlacer, or should i go S-video and use the X1's DCDi chip?

Would going component over Svideo for interlaced make a huge difference? I'd rather run one Svideo line rather than Three component lines to the projector, but if there will be a visible difference, I'd go with the components...

THanks in advance

2. Dave Man

Dave Man Stunt Coordinator

Nickso,

I think that you will get the best picture from the component to VESA adapter. I have an X1 and am running component to S-video right now. My local Infocus dealer told me that the picture is actually better through the VESA port. You can pick up either adapter on the Infocus website for $10.

As far as a cheap DVD player goes-DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THE PLAYER IF YOU CAN HELP IT! Since you will be projecting the image to such a large scale, any small defect will be that much more noticeable than on your regular television. You may want to consider waiting a bit and getting something for a couple hundred bucks more. You can get a really nice dvd player such as the denon 1600, Pioneer 47ai, Integra 7.3 and the Sony 999ES for about $600 or so, if memory serves. Believe me, you WILL notice a difference with that projector.

David

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    If i get a component to VESA adaptor, that means i'd be using progressive scan, which would bypass the DCDi chip in the X1... And then i'd need to pick up a progressive scan DVD player anyways... And for my price range, the DCDi would do a better job deinterlacing than the player itself...

Its not like im buying APEX or some other no-name brand, im looking for a low-mid range player for the projector (Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba). Im not planning to spend $600US on a DVD player anytime soon.

4. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I have had excellent luck with 3 Toshiba different models I believe it was SD4200 I am currently using. They all have worked well with my X1. I would second other's opinions and use the VESA adaptor. Much better quality than using the scaling (which is decent in itself) but nowhere near the quality of a decent progressive scan player. They were all in the $125-$150 range I believe.