Cheap DIY ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tom_furman, Aug 3, 2001.

1. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

while i'm waiting for my new speakers to come i'n i've been doing some cheap rinky-dink projects in my room.
    mattes for the tv - $12
    bass shakers - $40
    back lighting - $25
    all cheap but they make a big difference in a home theater
    any other ideas for cheap diy? i'd like to get a few more things done before i set up my speakers

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Room acoustic treatments. Adding a two sheets of foam and a plant made the largest difference in my home theater vs. any other upgrade I've implemented (including speakers). Building your own acoustic panel can be fairly cheap. Large plants and bookcases (or DVD shelves) also work well.
    Greg

3. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Some 2x6's and ply wood for a rasied back row was the best cheapie thing for me.

4. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Make some triangular pillows and velcro them to the corners of your room.
    While this might do something it looks kind of cheezy. I was in a high-end audio store the other day with a friend who has bigger budget than me. We were demoing a $2400 Arcam DVD player. I noticed these silly looking pillows in the corners.
    Halfway through the demo with the sales guy (audio consultant?) there, I said quite loudly, "Hey that's what my home theatre needs, triangle pillows in the corners of my room!" He was impressed with me and kind of looked odwn his nose at me. Very elitist store.
    Then he was doing an audio demo comparison of a $600 Pioneer DVD, the aforementioned Arcam (which sounded nice) and this $4500 something-or-other DVD player. I expressed my honest opinion that the Arcan sounded better than the $4500 one. He again was not impressed and said, "Well this amp/receiver is not well matched to the player so it won't show off the $4500 one at its best." I responded "but it shouldn't make it sound worse than a cheaper one should it?" He didn't respond.
    Anyway, I am now way off topic. Get some triangle pillows that's what I came in to say. Triangle pillows are where its at.