What's new

Cheap Digital Camera (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for a cheap digital camera but I haven't a clue as to what's a good value or not. My main use is photos of my laser discs for sale on Ebay.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Try to find a 1.2 megapixel with an LCD screen (then you know when you mess up) You can probally get one for under 80.00 (cheaper on ebay) For what you need that should be good

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
define cheap? Are you sure that's the only purpose it will get? If it is you might consider just buying a very cheap scanner and a disposable camera. You'll end up with much better photo's and scanners can be found very cheap these days....for that mater most places will now give you the photo's on a CD so you can skip the scanner if you like...though if you're doing a lot of photo's the cost of the CD option might surpass a cheap scanner pretty quickly. I just wouldn't bother with a cheap sub 2 mega pixel camera.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't know how cheap - under $200 would be nice. Scanner's don't work well with laser discs - they can't scan the whole jacket - and I have a nice, regular camera.

My main, and currently only, purpose is photographing laser discs. If I become interested in going beyond that, then I'll invest what it takes to get there. But not now.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
then under 2.0 would be more than enough for you.
try the sony cybershot 1.2 I used it for 2 years and it was excellant!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Actually I meant just shoot photo's of the LD jackets with the regular camera and then either 1)get the film developed onto a CD or 2) get regular photo's and scan them.

that said if you can spend $200 then you should be able to get a fairly decent 2 megapixel camera. Look at the Olympus or Canon's and you'll likely find them very close in quality to your 35 mm camera.

Hmm just took a quick look on price grabber and for a hair over $200 you can get the same camera I have which rocks!
link here

Or for a lot less money this one's decent as well...though it lacks the features of the Canon

link here

You should be able to find these locally as well.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scanner's don't work well with laser discs - they can't scan the whole jacket - and I have a nice, regular camera.
As Andrew indicated, a scanner can do a nice job of scanning 35mm photos and creating jpeg images. Canon makes a very nice USB attached scanner for about $80. Since you already have a good 35mm camera, all you need is the scanner (the Canon model comes with some software which should suit your purpose.

DavidAM

Second Unit
For under $200 the Fuji 2650 takes great pictures. I have the 2800 which is the same camera, just has a bigger zoom. Reviews on it are great also. Its also very user friendly.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
For around $240 you can get the canon A60. 2mp with 3x optical zoom, a ton of auto and manual features, and canon's next generation image processor.

Greg

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
The problem with taking 35mm photos of laser discs and scanning the pictures is the developing time and cost - I want my pictures now!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Another vote for the Fuji 2650. Compact, takes great shots, can be used as a webcam, takes short movie clips (no sound)costs $169. Excellent value.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks