What's new

cheap decent drivers (1 Viewer)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
Okay its Xmas time (or at least i want to get it done and over with) and everyone wants a new sub, At least i think my parents want one, or I know they want one. Oh hell i just want to make another :D

But seriously we have a small and i mean small Yamaha 8" 75 watter that does okay but its nothing worth mentioning. What i would like to do its build them a sub, and my only thing is i got little cash, i only have about 150 max to spend and that includes the MDF and everything, so lets say i want to drop about 100 on drivers. We have an old Pioneer receiver that would love to put out 100 watt x 2 for a DVC. or two drivers if they both come in under 100.

I am looking for a box thats not too to huge, right now they have their equipment on top of a hexagonal end table that is also the booze cabinet, and i think something along those lines of size would work. So about a foot print of 20x20 and a height of 26 max, external, would about do it on volume.

The construction is the least of my worries i almost want to try and recreate the hexagonal tower but with out the paneling just for the heck of it,

So what would you guys recommend for a decent driver, the shiva and AV12 and dayton 12" are out of the picture with the price. but there has got to be some decent 10 out there that will be better then what they have now,

Thanks again for any help you can provide me with

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
I believe stryke has a good 12" driver for $110. The SAE1204. Check the acoustic-visions site. Sorry, but I can't post links yet. And I think I remeber seeing an open box Dayton DSQ on the Parts Express scratch and dent page this weekend for $110. Dayton quattro 15's are on sale for $75 right now also. AND the dayton titanic 1200's are on sale for $130 also.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i saw it and it perked an interest, but would anyone know how they would perform in a 4.5 cuft box? how would say 4 of those 10" be?

I saw the quatro, that one is on my list to look at too.

The only thing is I can't run the apps to enter the specs in because i have a Mac and no virtual PC. I have excel but not sure of any file that will model T/S prams.

Also i have to draw the line at 100 no more, would love it if it was under, or else I will end up spending 400 like i did on my tempest.

LanceEAR

Agent
Have you tried this?

"unified box model for loudspeaker design"

w w w . danbbs . dk/~ko/ubmodel.htm
[I can't post links yet :frowning:]

Other than that I'm interested in what you come up with. I was thinking of building a smaller sub for my brother for christmas for around $100. I was thinking one 10" Quatro or 2 8" Quatros.

Good luck

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Another driver to look at on the cheap is the JBL GT series 12"....
Specificaly the GT-120 single 4-ohm. It models very simalar to the Shiva and can be had all over the web for less than $50.00 per driver.
A quick Yahoo shopping search found it for 45.00 at a number of net vendors.
JBL quotes 12-mm throw and at the price, a deal on a pretty decent driver. Two 12's would come in right around your prefered 100.00 driver spending limit.

The C-Vega HED 12"
Made in both Single and DVC, is also something you might look at. Price is more than the JBL I belive, but another 4 to 5-mm of throw. CV says 17-mm actually and uses their double roll surround.

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks