Cheap CDs for canadians?!

Discussion in 'Music' started by NickSo, Oct 10, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im hoping this is the beginning of a trend...
    I went to futureshop earlier this week, and was gladly surprised to see they had ALL CDs for less than $16.99 CAD and some recent new releases for $9.99! I picked up Billy Talent for $9.99, and David Usher's new release. I had to leave then and there as I was very tempted to get more.

They should've done this way earlier instead of making this big deal with lawsuits and whatnot. $10 is the magic price point for my college-student bank account. Must restrain self...

Anybody in the states see drastic price drops on CDs?

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Would be nice if I could go into an HMV, with its better selection than FS, and find cds at somewhat less than their C$25.99 prices [​IMG]

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

This definitely seems to be isolated to Future Shop, because HMV still feels that $26 for a CD is reasonable.

4. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

My daughter paid $23.99 for a four year old eminem cd at HMV...

... so who's the pirate ?

As a footnote I got a DVD-A at BB for $23.19 on the same day. I used to pay that much for cd's when the came out 16 years ago.

5. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

It is not limited to Futureshop out west. A&B Sound's prices have been very competitive lately and their selection is waaaay better than Futureshop's.
    And the Dylan SACDs were welling for $16 last week.
    HMV is a waste of time. At $25 a cd, no wonder people are stealing so much music.

Regards
    KrisM

6. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Nick, you (we) live in the best part of North America to purchase CDs.

A&B has, for years, been selling new releases in the 10s to low teens, with some of the older catalogue stuff in the low 20s.

Buy at A&B and support a local, Canadian company [​IMG]
    A&B's selection, too, is second to none.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Well futureshop was (weren't tey bought out buy BestBuy?) a local canadian company [​IMG]

I would go to A&B but theres not one in the vicinity, yet there are two futureshops within a 5 minute drive [​IMG]

8. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

A&B used to price their CDs way lower than any of their competitors. A few years ago they came to their senses and raised them up more in line with the others, but still lower on average.
    It will be interesting to see what happens once the new Future Shop opens it's doors within four blocks of the downtown flagship A&B outlet. One thing is for sure....Virgin is gonna take a hit.

Nick...where are you that you're not anywhere near an A&B??

9. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

A&B is still really cheap. There was a period that I stopped buying CDs, but they're still roughly the same price I paid so many years ago, with a small bump for inflation.

I was back east for business and popped by a mall. New releases were a shade under $20, old catalogue stuff was $25+!

Sometimes I wonder how a chain like Music World stays afloat out here. HMV to a lesser extent (their selection is decent and prices not horrible, compared to Muzak World).
    Their prices are uniformly horrible and selection isn't anywhere close to A&B.

Nick, you're right, FS WAS a Canadian Company, and it was local to Vancouverites too (first store in Rmd). That Canadian owned stuff is gone now of course.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Cary: I WAS in richmond, so the closest one to me was on Marine drive, its not TOO far away, but I dont bother drivin out there (i dont have a car either, use my dad's)...

Now im in burnaby (SFU), and I have no idea where the closest A&B is...