cheap box to variably adjust sub phase?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy G, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I'm mulling over the idea of getting a sub that only has a 0/180 switchable phase knob. Anybody know of an inexpensive box(~$100 or less) that will let me continuously vary the phase? You know...Processor sub-out > variable phase box > subwoofer input.

Thanks

2. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

The Paradigm X-30 has this. It's more than $100, but not a whole lot more.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

If you can solder and are interested in DIY, this sub crossover includes variable phase and deep boost. You could build this and set the filter portion of the circuit high enough that it does no filtering. Or, the originator of the kit may provide you with a mod that does only phase or phase and deep boost.
    http://www.t-linespeakers.org/pomann/subwooferkit.htm

4. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Hi Guys,

Cliff- I've seen the Paradigm, but it's a bit expensive, and I don't need the crossover features. I've been keeping it in mind though, since it's the least expensive product I've seen so far.

Brian- I'm not much of a DIYer and this product seems to be a bit of overkill as well.

Thanks to both of you.

Anybody else?

5. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

-bump-

:^(

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Randy,
    Isn't your sub going to be between your mains? I don't think you'll really need a continually variable phase control, but it can't hurt.
    BTW, that overly expensive sub you're looking at doesn't have variable phase? Talk about cutting corners! [​IMG]
    Brian

7. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Actually, I've always planned to put it in the left front corner, about a foot behind my mains and about 4 ft from the left main.

Yeah, that expensive sub(Velo HGS-12) REALLY did cut corners...ever see the top of it?

8. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

The soon-to-be-released SVS black box features a gain increase, hi-pass rumble filter and continuous phase adjustment. The hi-pass should have a few selections including no filter at all. Not sure if the gain will be adjustable but I'd guess it will be. Don't know the price. Watch the SVS website.

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Randy,
    Oh, OK. I didn't realize (or remember) that's where you were planning on putting it. I really would have thought a sub of that caliber would have had a variable phase adjustment. But I've been out of touch with retail subs/speakers for the last couple of years so I don't know what would be considered a common feature set for a sub in this price range. Maybe the folks at Velo don't consider it to be enough of an issue.
    Those corners they cut are purdy though! [​IMG]
    Brian