What's new

Cheap Blu-ray player? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m looking for just a basic a Blu-ray player. I’ve been trying to find something really reasonable. I’m a teacher and I just want to have it for use in the classroom. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy etc.
I saw that there was an LG bdp25 or 35 That was pretty affordable. I’ve also been recommended to look at Amazon warehouse deals. Honestly as long as the player works it does not have to be anything fancy I would even be up for a used player. I don’t have a strict budget necessarily but at most $40 Is what I am thinking.
I’ll continue to scour eBay and Amazon warehouse deals to see if I can find something. But I was hoping somebody else might know something too. Thanks

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just go to Walmart and grab up one of their many under $50 players and call it good. I wouldn't over research it, nor scour eBay or Amazon. A basic player is easily found at any local brick and mortar store in your town.
That is exactly what I did for our South Carolina condo a couple of years ago. We just wanted a basic BD player with WiFi support for updating firmware, since I do not have a PC down there to burn firmware discs. I just went to the nearby Wal-Mart and bought a low-end Sony player. Similar to DVD players, these low-end models have become almost like commodity items. You should be able to find one for under $50.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Understood! Thanks!

I was hoping to find an lg for $15!
I called wal mart and they are out of them. For some reason google shipping was showing one in stock at a store nearby.

I have a budget Sony and will probably try another brand.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Not being a wal mart shopper is it typical that electronics are much cheaper in store then Walmart online site prices?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
It can be a toss up. But beware that like Amazon, there are numerous 3rd Party sellers on WM.com.

Don't overthink things. just to to any store of your choice in town like Target, WM, Best Buy, Costco, Big Lots, and grab a player and put it to use.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It can be a toss up. But beware that like Amazon, there are numerous 3rd Party sellers on WM.com.

Don't overthink things. just to to any store of your choice in town like Target, WM, Best Buy, Costco, Big Lots, and grab a player and put it to use.
Costco only has the Samsung Blu-ray in store

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Understood! Thanks!

I called wal mart and they are out of them. For some reason google shipping was showing one in stock at a store nearby.

At $15 each, I'm not surprised Walmart was out of stock. We're you ultimately able to find a suitable Blu-ray player, or does the search continue?

CHEERS! :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Understood! Thanks!

That BF deal went fast from what I gather ...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
At $15 each, I'm not surprised Walmart was out of stock. We're you ultimately able to find a suitable Blu-ray player, or does the search continue?

CHEERS! :)

The search continues! I will have more time to look next week.

Thanks for the note on Costco. They don’t offer any players online I noticed.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The search continues! I will have more time to look next week.

Thanks for the note on Costco. They don’t offer any players online I noticed.
Best Buy has a Magnavox 4K-UHD player for $60 - the major issues seem the be the small remote, it's strictly one HDMI, and doesn't have interwebs/services (You didn't hear it from me but I have a Phillips player that looks just like this that plays most region B blu-rays using the {Play} [Top Menu} {Stop} {Top Menu} {Top Menu} method-PAL encoded material won't play)* or BBY has an LG blu-ray Original Recipe with interwebs for $50 ...

*It also looks like you'll have to go to the dollar store and get some batteries as the remote doesn't come with any nor an HDMI cable ...

My favorite 1 Star review
What good is 4K without good sound?
Posted 7 months ago
I made the mistake of buying this off the 'net without researching it adequately. It has no output other than the HDMI port, so it won't talk to my sound bar system! Why have a UD4K video with only the crappy speakers in the TV? I took it back and exchanged it for an LG unit with the optical audio output port.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Hey everyone. I'm bumping this thread due to being in the market for a new BD player . This is per the problems I'm having with my current Samsung piece of crap, re: my other recent thread on this sub-forum. I'm not sure I can resolve the issues with my current player.

Note that I have no interest in getting another Samsung BD player. I've purchased two & they've both been awful re: not playing certain Blu's. Plus, AFAIK Samsung isn't making new BD players now anyway, and I don't want to get a player that won't be supported in the future.

So, here is what I am looking for in a BD player:

-I want to be able to play Blu-ray's/DVD's without a problem. This seems glaringly obvious, but not all players work that well & I want to avoid issues ahead of time - if at all possible.

-I want to get a player that is automatically Wireless; i.e., I don't want to have to hook something external up to the player when/if I need firmware updates.

Going along with this, there are certain things that are unimportant to me re: a new BD player:

- I don't stream at all using a BD Player, so am not concerned about that. I'm 100% physical media when it comes to my BD player.

-I haven't upgraded to 4K yet, so don't need a 4K or 4K compatible player.

So, does anyone know of a current non-Samsung player with the features I want that's affordable, i.e. under $150? Just wondering - Thanks!

Last edited:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Sony and LG may be your best bet. But remember, nothing is going to be 100% perfect. All may have issues some time down the road.

Just go to Best Buy and pick the model that fits your needs and budget.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
They may very well be but there aren't many folks making players these days so if you hate Samsung, the two above mentioned models are ones that fit your budget. After that you get into the uber cheaply made brands like Magnavox etc.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've had Sony and Panasonic players that lasted for years without problems. My current Samsung 4K player is a little glitchy. I've been debating switching back to my Sony BRP which still worked fine when I decided to upgrade to a 4K player (I still don't have a 4K display, so the 4K function doesn't really matter at this point in time).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Just as a datapoint: I got a Sony S6700 from "220 electronics", with region-free BD/DVD. I'd say ~2 years ago [edit: was in 2016, so Sx700 are older models]. Forget why I picked it, the S3700 was fine, must have been their "compressed pricing" in Canada that made the models fairly close in price at the time (the S6700 had 3D and 4K upscaling, that might have been the kickers).

Note that these are not built to a standard you may expect. They are very lightweight, and you can feel their vibration, and hear them (audio off) quite clearly from across the room! There's nothing in the small boxes to "damp" anything. The case will slide when you press the stiff front buttons (just two). This is pretty normal for mainstream BDPs these days, not just a Sony thing.

Works perfectly fine though, zero operational issues, but mine is slow to start up, it seems to go through a lot of BS for its own internal/pre-installed apps etc., the startup (of the player itself, not every disc) will remind you of the "old days" of BDPs.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Yes, the cheap players are built like whatever the opposite of a tank is. I also have a cheapo LG player but prefer the Sony - the LG is glitchier and needs to be restarted from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks