1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap Blu-ray player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Osato, Dec 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Osato

Osato Producer

I’m looking for just a basic a Blu-ray player. I’ve been trying to find something really reasonable. I’m a teacher and I just want to have it for use in the classroom. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy etc.
    I saw that there was an LG bdp25 or 35 That was pretty affordable. I’ve also been recommended to look at Amazon warehouse deals. Honestly as long as the player works it does not have to be anything fancy I would even be up for a used player. I don’t have a strict budget necessarily but at most $40 Is what I am thinking.
    I’ll continue to scour eBay and Amazon warehouse deals to see if I can find something. But I was hoping somebody else might know something too. Thanks

2. JQuintana

JQuintana Screenwriter

Johnny
    Just go to Walmart and grab up one of their many under $50 players and call it good. I wouldn't over research it, nor scour eBay or Amazon. A basic player is easily found at any local brick and mortar store in your town.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

That is exactly what I did for our South Carolina condo a couple of years ago. We just wanted a basic BD player with WiFi support for updating firmware, since I do not have a PC down there to burn firmware discs. I just went to the nearby Wal-Mart and bought a low-end Sony player. Similar to DVD players, these low-end models have become almost like commodity items. You should be able to find one for under $50.

Tony Bensley and Osato like this.
  4. Osato

Osato Producer

Understood! Thanks!

I was hoping to find an lg for $15!
    I called wal mart and they are out of them. For some reason google shipping was showing one in stock at a store nearby.

I have a budget Sony and will probably try another brand.

5. Osato

Osato Producer

Not being a wal mart shopper is it typical that electronics are much cheaper in store then Walmart online site prices?

6. JQuintana

JQuintana Screenwriter

Johnny
    It can be a toss up. But beware that like Amazon, there are numerous 3rd Party sellers on WM.com.

Don't overthink things. just to to any store of your choice in town like Target, WM, Best Buy, Costco, Big Lots, and grab a player and put it to use.

Tony Bensley and Osato like this.
  7. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Costco only has the Samsung Blu-ray in store

Osato likes this.
  8. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    At $15 each, I'm not surprised Walmart was out of stock. We're you ultimately able to find a suitable Blu-ray player, or does the search continue?

CHEERS! :)

9. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    That BF deal went fast from what I gather ...

Osato likes this.
  10. Osato

Osato Producer

The search continues! I will have more time to look next week.

Thanks for the note on Costco. They don’t offer any players online I noticed.

11. Message #11 of 11 Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Best Buy has a Magnavox 4K-UHD player for $60 - the major issues seem the be the small remote, it's strictly one HDMI, and doesn't have interwebs/services (You didn't hear it from me but I have a Phillips player that looks just like this that plays most region B blu-rays using the {Play} [Top Menu} {Stop} {Top Menu} {Top Menu} method-PAL encoded material won't play)* or BBY has an LG blu-ray Original Recipe with interwebs for $50 ...

*It also looks like you'll have to go to the dollar store and get some batteries as the remote doesn't come with any nor an HDMI cable ...

My favorite 1 Star review
    What good is 4K without good sound?
    Posted 7 months ago
    I made the mistake of buying this off the 'net without researching it adequately. It has no output other than the HDMI port, so it won't talk to my sound bar system! Why have a UD4K video with only the crappy speakers in the TV? I took it back and exchanged it for an LG unit with the optical audio output port.

ManW_TheUncool and Osato like this.