Cheap and easy DIY enclosures for 4" full-range:

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kenneth Harden, May 12, 2004.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I have a order of the 4" full-range Pioneer drivers on the way, and want to get a cheap enclosure to start with.

I was thinking about something plastic (easy to work with, these are 87 cent drivers!), like a bucket with a lid, and I could cut out a hole for the drivers.

Should I just hit the 99-cent store and see if anything looks good (remember, I need a pair, so one-off things are out!), or does anything work well for this application.

Note: I am completly serious about needing an enclosure, but want to have (cheap) fun and hopefully use something goofy [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

3. Kenneth Harden

Ohhh, I like the PVC idea. I bet I could getto-rig it and JUST use the pipe.

Nice thing, at 87 cents a pop, I can travel around with the driver and not care if it gets messed up!

I will be looking at things like coffee cans, paint cans, any plastic box I can, etc.

I need to go to the Dollar Tree!!!

4. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

5. Kenneth Harden

Boredom.

I have spent the last few years looking at DIY projects and forums, and want to play around with some speakers. I don't have woodworking tools (yet), so I am not worried about building any real speakers now. I just want to play around and have some fun. Figure, 8 drivers for $20 (shipping cost more than the drivers!), and 99 cent store cabinets are not a big deal!

I have a pair of JBL HT4V's, so I am fine in the audio department.

6. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

7. Kenneth Harden

Well, the only way I will suceed with these drivers is if I go Bose - and if thats the case, you can wave to my Gulfstream [​IMG]