Cheap airline tickets to Sweden?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Feb 26, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Does anyone know where can I find cheap airline tickets to Sweden? I would be going in late June, for 1 or 2 weeks.
    I've searched online and called a couple of travel agencies, the best price so far is $1200/person, which is horrendously high in light of the fact that a roundtrip from Sweden to here costs half that.
    I'll be willing to fly from Phoenix too, worst case even from Vegas, if that would bring the price down substantially. Any help would be appreciated, but I don't want to use Priceline.
    /Mike

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

That's common unfortunately - fares being dearer in one direction vs the way back.
    I'd check the bargain consolidators - the likes of www.travelhub.com etc. I frequently have more luck with international fares from them than the 'big guns', especially if you're willing to change flights in mainland Europe.

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I just looked on Expedia.com and round-trip from Las Vegas to Stockholm(ARN) is only $720.13 for 19Mar - 26Mar. You gotta connect in Chicago.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Shawn, the problem is the June/July part. July is pretty much the most expensive time of year to fly transatlantic. The fares are hiked up by a huge amount.

5. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Check Icelandair. You can fly from Boston->Stockholm right now for $314. Icelandair has had really cheap rates from BOS->Europe for about 6 mos now.
    While the deals I find online @ boston.com are usually only for the coming weekend, all the Icelandair ones are for the coming weekend, PLUS other dates that you can buy in advance.
    I'm sure you could find a cheap flight to Boston and then pickup a cheap flight from Sweden.
    No, I don't work for Icelandair and have never flown on it. I would like to go to Iceland sometime though. [​IMG]
    http://travel.boston.com/deals/airfares.html

6. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

Are you going to stay in Stockholm while in Sweden?
    We've gotta meet up one of the days you're here [​IMG]

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Thanks for the tips guys. I checked out those two sites, and Travelhub had tickets for just under $800, unfortunately no available seats on the days I picked. After trying 4 different dates I gave up (the procedure was rather tedious), but at least I know there are less expensive tickets than what I was originally quoted.
    The Iceland Air thing looks good too, I know people here have used them, and been happy with it. I flew to Boston last year for a little over $300 (Southwest, gotta love their prices), so going that route now might be the best way to keep the price down.
    Does anyone know any (national) travel agencies that are reliable and inexpensive that could do the work for me, getting the best price, organizing the flight schedules and so on? Most of the ones I've found seem to deal with cruises and tours.
    Håkan, our itinerary is pretty much chock full already, but I'll see if I can squeeze you in, it would be fun. [​IMG]
    /Mike

8. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    See if you can fly to London very cheap then check for a flight from London on one of the no frills airlines, I have saved hundreds booking to London then changing to a flight to Germany, it might be possible to Sweden also.

kd