What's new

Cheap 5 speaker package? (1 Viewer)

scott>c

Second Unit
U could get 6 Insignia speakers for a lil over 120 dollars. They have good bass response, look incredible and even sound decent. Best part is u can go to Best Buy and try them out for 30 days and send em back if u dont like them!!!!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Those are the speakers I'd recommend as well. The big tower mains should be able to handle lots of bass and power,the rest will fill out the "theater" part. Make sure to set the front center and rear sattelite speakers to "Small"!!!

With a powerful receiver in front of them, these things should ABSOLUTELY KILL any sub/sat system.

Josh Haugo

Grip
I currently own the SX-HTB from fluance and really like it. I also built a 250 watt 12" AA Assassin sub to go with it and it sounds great. You can find the fluance sets going on ebay for decent prices and that's what I was originally going to buy. But I also want somethign a little different from what I already have.

I liked the idea of 3 pairs of insignia speakers, but I have been super busy lately and haven't been able to listen to them or try them out. Another option was 2-3 pairs of Polk r15s with a csi25 center. They were on sale at outpost for cheap, but the sale has since ended but I have been told that they go on sale quite frequently there. I am also still looking at used, but I've been burned a few times over ebay and would like to avoid that if possible. Plus, I like warrenties when I can get them, especially on a system that will see a lot of use(with some abuse).

As far as subs go, I can build a sub if I need to, or I could choose an athena 4000 or I've heard good things about a BIC sub. It will definately be after we get everything hooked up and see if we really need one. I can always bring mine over and hook it up.

The most frustrating part is that I don't have the power to just write a check and buy everything. By the time I get the ok from the frat, the speakers are sold out. I'm ready to say either give me a budget and I'll buy whatever I think is best, or just do it all yourself.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
How about a couple pairs of these, which seem to get good reviews & have a good chunk of real bass*:

PartsExpress DAYTON BR-1S

If you move up to something else later, they can be used on their own for other systems (i.e. a stereo-only bedroom system, computer speakers, etc).

* uses a 6.5" woofer. This is the size of speaker I personally think of as the minimum for a sound system that is expected to sound realistic playing music especially with male voices/string instruments/piano, whether or not a subwoofer is used with them. Movie soundtracks will also benefit and subs will be easier to integrate compared to using tiny satellites that use 3 inch "woofers" i.e. crossover can be set much lower.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Have you actually heard the BR1s? My only issue is that they roll off the highs for some reason (-3dB at 18kHz), according to the specs. That would suggest they aren't real clean at the top. I've only read one private review and it was positive, but that isn't quite enough to get a feel for them. They're not quite cheap enough for me to buy a set just to try out... though they were on sale a few months back.

Mordaunt 902s for $199 w/free shipping from AC4L. Heck of a deal.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard them, but it's a couple DIY forums where I have read reviews of them. They usually did mention these speakers' "warm" sound and while that can take away a bit of detail for rock/pop music, on the plus side that can *help* rock/pop music because those genres of music aren't usually recorded all that well in the first place. I.e. the rolloff these speakers exhibit produces a subtle masking quality. My theory is that the PartsExpress people did this on purpose to help produce a more balanced sounding speaker, since it uses a (relatively) small woofer.

If it helps any, many sought-after vintage speakers barely make it to 15kHz, much less 20kHz and they can still sound excellent (most guys can't hear anything above 15kHz anyway).

So for movies, they might lack some sparkle but for music - if their owner is into really long continuous listening sessions - they allow a longer listening period before the onset of listener's fatigue.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I like warmer speakers, but these sound like they might be a bit too warm. I understand why they might want to do that, but I do need a certain amount of detail in the highs too. I'm still curious about them. Relatively small woofer? It manages to go to 43Hz :) I've read bass is one of the better qualities of this speaker.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
For them a six and a half incher is probably small compared to (for example) some of the DIY projects they've come up. Like this non-frat boy house party speaker: two 12" sub drivers for each speaker. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks