Cheap 3 channel Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Smitty, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Steve Smitty

Steve Smitty Extra

I have an older JVC reciever rated at 100x5, but it doesn't seem to do anything near that, it only draws 300 from the wall and weighs 20lbs. I have Paradigm Focus's for mains and a 270 center.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced (cheap[​IMG] but good $200-400 3 channel 125-150 watt amp. Anyone have any ideas!!

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
  3. Steve Smitty

Steve Smitty Extra

i've seen some 2 channel amp for as little as $200 brand new averaging 200 watts x2, (nady, pyramid brands). i would go this route but i've heard the center should be powered by the same amp with the same power rating to retain timbre and make sure it can keep up with the mains, as so much is demanded of the center for ht.
    i'm not too sure about going used. i'd rather buy new with a warranty.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    I understand some are uncomfortable with used. You can also look for used locally on places like Audiogon and go look at it. I have an amp on just the center channel on my secondary basement system and don't notice any significan timbre differences in the particular set-up I have. I believe Audiosource has some reasonably priced amps and I also believe they can be found at bestbuy.com.