1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

cheap 200-300 watt amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by zane, Nov 24, 2002.

1. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

i'm thinking about going with full size amp instead of a plate amp for my tempest i'm gonna build, i'm probably gonna need 200-300 watts rms

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Outlaw just announced the model 200: a 200W monoblock. Might be perfect for what you want.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

the new outlaw amp will be $300 and put out 300 watts into 4 ohms so it would be a contender. I'd also look around for a use pro amp since you're likely to get more power for less $$ going that route. QSC is quite popular for pro amps and are pretty inexpensive.

4. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

how is the outlaw gonna compare in sound quality to the adire ava250, are there any other companies that offer amps like the 300watt monoblock, is there a place to get outlaw amps discounted or do you have to get them factory direct

5. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

For a subwoofer, I wouldn't worry too much regarding the sound quality - unless you are planning on using the amp at a later stage to power full range speakers. The reason is that sub's demand a lot of power, but don't demand high bandwidth. Seeing as most distortion in amplifiers increases with increasing frequency, most sub amps may not be particularly good above 1kHz, but that's of no consequence - it doesn't effect the sound quality in the sub-bass frequencies.

I'd personally be more concerned about missing out on the features offered with most plate amps (crossover, bass boost, rumble filter, phase control etc.) that you won't get with a monoblock amp. These are, of course, fairly easy to add in to a monoblock amp.

To sum things up: Subs don't need full range amps, so you are to some extent wasting a full range amp on a sub. What subs do need is correct filtering (rumble, low pass, eq, phase) so that you can achieve the best response possible in your room (The single biggest effect on bass)

Hope this helps.

6. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the info, given that I think I'll just go with the Adire AVA250 and save the money for the tempest

7. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

You might also want to look at the Hypex HS amps offered by Adire. I've got an HS500 powering a dual Tempest sonosub and am very happy with it...