Chasing Amy Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Hancock, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

I purchased chasing amy on dvd yesterday and had a problem. During chapter 10 when holden and allysa are talking about why they chose guys and girls right after holden says because thats the standard the picture becomes pixalated, skips ahead, and the sound keeps cutting out. I went ahead to chapter 11 and at the start it did the same thing. I fast fowaraded a few seconds and it was fine. I took the disc out and cleaned it with some water and soft tissue and went back to the same place on the disc that I had the problems and it was fine. Today I was watching it and in the exact same spot it happened again. I cleaned the disc again but the problem was still there. I have a toshiba sd-1600 dvd player and have never had problems with any disc before. Is it the dvd player, the disc, or something else I am missing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    ------------------
    "Come on, you fuckers think that just cause a guy reads comics he can't start some shit, I'll fucking take all you on!"
    Beavis and Butthead on DVD
    Family Guy on DVD
    [Edited last by Brett Hancock on August 24, 2001 at 09:11 PM]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Any problem like that is either a bad or dirty disc
    Jeff Kleist

3. Brett Hancock

Thanks sense I got it at best buy I will probably go and return it which shouldn't be a problem with them.
    ------------------
    "Come on, you fuckers think that just cause a guy reads comics he can't start some shit, I'll fucking take all you on!"
    Beavis and Butthead on DVD
    Family Guy on DVD

4. LawrenceK

LawrenceK Stunt Coordinator

I had a similar problem. It was a bad pressing of the disc. Had to return it almost 3 times until I got a good copy.

5. ChrisKe

ChrisKe Stunt Coordinator

I purchased this disk from View Askew and had exactly the same problem on my Sony.
    Contacted VA and they sent a replacement - no hassles!

6. Adrian_P

Adrian_P Stunt Coordinator

Well I have a copy of Chasing Amy that is in perfectly good condition and had been working up until now. It began to pixelate at the layer change and not work for the rest of the movie. Now I am enquiring to get a replacement.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

is this the scene where they are on the swings? if so, my copy also does the same thing.
    i took it to best buy and they checked it out. they could not repeat the error on their dvd player, but offered to exchange it for me anyway. the new copy i got also did not work.
    i had a friend test it on their dvd player and also could not repeat the error. i guess my particular machine (sony s560-d) doesn't like that layer change. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

8. Brett Hancock

9. Shane L.

Shane L. Auditioning

There were two glitches I experienced while watching the disk that I'd like to point out.
    Chap 10, 0:02:21 (scene where Holden and Alyssa are talking on the swings)
    * I didn't experience any layer change problem or pixelation, but I did notcie this glitch at Chapter 10
    (my player is also a 560-D)

There's a strange circular object that pops up on the bottom left corner of the frame. Similiar to what they call a "cigarette burn" alerting the projector to change reals.
    And...
    Chap. 24, 0:04:52 (scene at the end between Holden and Alyssa)
    The whole picture jerks up and down for a second.
    Question is, do I have a defective disk or are ALL the DVD like this? If someone could double check their copy and respond, it would make a world of difference. I'd like to exchange it if it's defective.
    Thanks.

10. Julio De Luis

I too have the same dvd player(sony dvp-s560d) and from what I have experianced with this particular disc is that it is not the dvd player acting up, but the dvd movie itself.

The reason I say this is because the first time I saw the movie I had rented it from a blockbuster video, and the problems that many have described about the picture freezing in chapter 10 did occur. At first I thought it was my player that was dirty, but after cleaning it, the same problems kept occuring.

The 2nd time I saw the disc was today, when i unwrapped it to check if had the same problems that occured when I first rented it, and to my luck none of the problems that occured during chapter 10 occured with the new disc.

As for the picture jumping for a second during chapter 24, that is more of the fault of the film then it is of the disc.

11. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

If you are experiencing a problem with any film on your player and it cannot be reproduced on another player - it is a player problem.

Most players are software upgradeable. If you contact your player manufacturer and explain your experience, they can send you a Boot CD with a flash on it. You stick it in your player and you are done.

A few have to be hardware modified, but these tend to be early players or off-brands.

12. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

John:

Unless of course you have a Phillips or Magnovox DVD player. Just called the Manufacturer and they stated that thye do not do upgrades any more. They just lost one customer for life!!!!! I guess in my case I'm outta luck. My lockup concerns Jay&Silent Bob. But I can reproduce the problem on 2 different players....1 being a DVD drive (samsung)...It's a really weird problem and have yet to see anyone posts problems with that specific disk. I'm on my 2nd disk....Guess I'll have to try a 3rd disk... any ideas??

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

What what what?

Both my players are Philips and they were upgrading until recently. If they really have cancelled that customer service, I'll be upset enough not to get Philips in the future. Moreso, all the people who ask me at work about DVDs and players generally get the recommendation to get a Philips from me. We've got 300+ in this building who all know somehow that I know DVD. A few lost sales there if I verify this.

Man.

I'm sorry.

I do have Chasing Amy. I have an early model Philips on which it works fine. My other Philips is an 825 and it works fine there too.

14. RobTrev

RobTrev Extra

Hmmm, I'm on my second copy of Chasing Amy right now and it just started skipping. Just got them both at Best Buy and they both start skipping with sound dropouts in Chapter 22. Actually, I think only Chapter 22 is the problem.

So, if you're taking advantage of Best Buy's current low price of Chasing Amy: Criterion, you may need to be a bit patient with it.

15. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

I don't have any problems with chapter 10 (other than the cigarrette burn which I noticed because it was unusual) but my player (a Tosh SD-1209) apparently decided that the end of Chapter 14 was just to intense for it & did the whole pixilation/freeze/sound dropout etc. Now I have to slow-boat it back to DDD. [​IMG]

16. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Shane L, I have the same DVD player and have found the same 2 things wrong with my disc. I don't have any other problems such as the pixelation or the freezes. I think its the disc in this case.