Chasing Amy Criterion DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RayG, Oct 1, 2001.

1. RayG

RayG Stunt Coordinator

Was the framing problem on this DVD ever corrected, and is it a big distraction?

2. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I didn't notice it, in fact I watched it again two nights ago and intentional looked for the one scene in particular and I still didn't notice it.

3. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Ray, I wasn't aware that there was a framing problem. Was there any mention of it from Kevin Smith?
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The scene in the train station is misframed a bit. The problem is, it must have been misframed on the prints-- since the rest of the film is properly framed.
    It sounded like there was a mistake in the way it was shot- which was never corrected for theatrical prints (Vincent mentioned this on the commentary, seeing it misframed in theaters). However- theaters shouldn't have to reframe for one scene, so if the rest of the film (and even that reel) was properly framed... then the theater was right and it was the prints which were errored.
    The confusion has come up because on the Laserdisc transfer, the headroom framing was corrected. I would guess, again just guessing, the offending shots were reframed with guidance from DP Dave and so the LD was "right", for the first time. Vincent makes a comment about this in the commentary that the scene is framed correctly on the LD transfer.
    Unfortunately, some one at BV did the transfer for the DVD- and did a straight transfer using the theatrical framing, not realizing there were a few scenes that had been reframed for the LD transfer. The theatrical version, as mentioned above, is "wrong". No one seemed to catch the error in the very beginning before theatrical prints went out (not suprising-- as much as I love Smith, I doubt he would notice in a million years that something might have been wrong)-- so I can't blame BV too much as they followed the framing of the theatrical prints-- it just so happened the theatrical prints were probably wrong.
    So basically the DVD is "wrong"-- but it's tough because it sounds like this "error" goes back up the line- possibly to when it was shot. I wouldn't be suprised to hear DP Dave just fucked up the camera framing badly and never pushed to have the Film print fixed (for whatever reason- I have a few guesses). When Criterion actually consulted him for his thoughts on the LD transfer, he took that opportunity to repair his error that was not fixed for the theatrical version. Unfortunately, he wasn't contacted for the DVD (despite what the packaging originally said!)- so you get the theatrical framing, which is tight on headroom.
    You could argue the framing is "wrong"- but this is how it was presented in theaters and was never corrected.
    The DVD hasn't been corrected- probably will never be. I don't think it's a distraction at all- Kevin's films are not really visual masterworks by any stretch-- so the headroom is just a little tight in a series of shots. It is not like they were cut off at the neck or anything-- the LD just has an extra foot or so (in the real space of the shot, not on your screen) of headroom.
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here
    [Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on October 01, 2001 at 07:02 PM]

5. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Distraction? Nope, not at all. This is a great film, and a fantastic DVD. I was too busy laughing to notice any framing issues. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Vince.
    I never noticed this until I watched the film with commentary three weeks ago. Then I didn't understand at all why they said that this was misframed in theaters and has been corrected "now" for this transfer. It still seemd very tightly framed. Now I know why the commentary doesn't fit the print.
    But, this is not too bad really. I'd go for the disc. It's a great disc of a great movie (imo of course).
    ------------------
    - Michael
    My DVD collection

7. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

The story I heard from ViewAskew.com was that Criterion asked DP Dave to come down and supervise the transfer... however when he turned up he found out it had already been done(!).
    Thus the bit on the back of the disc where it says it has been "supervised by the director of photography" is total bunk! [​IMG]
    Nevermind, still a great disc and film!
    ~ John
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me DVD
    Fight for the Deleted Scenes Petition
    http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight

8. RayG

RayG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the information guys, it looks like I'll have to strongly consider buying it.

9. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

10. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Buy it! The commentary track is worth the price alone. But, that is always the case when you record a commentary track with Kevin Smith and Ben Affleck in the same room. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    A Little Slice of Heaven

11. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Just for anyone's info: the MSRP price on Criterion's Chasing Amy, according to Dvd Price Search, has just been reduced $5.00. So, if you've put off buying it, like me, now would seem to be a good time.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

12. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

huh? $5.00? DVDpricesearch.com shows the lowest for $17.49 plus shipping. Where is it $5.00?
    ------------------
    Scott's Home Theater - By Appointment Only

13. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

14. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

doh!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Scott's Home Theater - By Appointment Only