1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Chase season 1 thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Need a new show about U.S. Marshalls on weekly hunt for fugitives? "Chase" could fit that bill for you. Airs on NBC at 10 p.m. EDT.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Watched it. Liked it a good bit more than Hawaii 5-0; the characters were more interesting, and being set in Texas makes for a nice change of pace. But it's not going on the Tivo season pass: didn't grab me as "must watch". But it feels like a procedural, so I'm sure I'll catch it now and again or in reruns.

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    There are a lot of shows filming in Dallas right now--Chase, Lone Star, The Good Guys, and it seems I'm forgetting one--so I may be wrong, but I think this is the one whose stars had the local media cringing with their talk about how Dallas was all about "big hair, country music, cowboy boots," etc. Misinformed or not, they were being kind, so I didn't care. But, I will say that the show is more cliched out of the box than the others. Everybody listens to Waylon, they all hang out in honky tonks. To quote Ft. Worth musician Brian Burns, "I was traveling down the road out of San Antone when I heard on the radio that Waylon was gone. Radio ain't played Waylon since 1982. Now, they're calling him a hero. Hell, I don't think Waylon knew."

Still, it doesn't bother me that much. The country has an image of Texas, and you sometimes print the legend. I was a little more put off by the heavy handed way they made us know Annie was doing this because of her past, and that her past is more than a little similar to the two young girls in the episode. Mother died, father is a bad man. She was in the position of having to abet her father.

But, it's a pilot and you have to get certain things across to the audience. Neither issue was fatal. I liked Chase a little better than Hawaii also, and I'm sticking with both for now. I've actually not been turned off by any of the new shows I've watched so far.

I thought I saw Knepper in the previews, so I was disappointed he didn't turn up. He's typically good even if the show isn't. Maybe he's coming up. I hadn't seen Fimmel since The Beast. The ladies like him, so I'm surprised he hasn't made it bigger yet.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    So I wouldn't know Waylon if he dropped over for sweet tea; outdated cultural references didn't bother me.

And the one time I visited the southwest (AZ), about 16 years ago to see a buddy living there, we went to a bar just like on Chase. So that felt about right to this mid-westerner

If anything, that show was not nearly as crazy-conservative-yee-haw-everyone's-packin'-heat as the stereotype some have of Texas. It came of as generically big-city, with a different skyline, and just a bit of a twang to the lead's voice. (Realistically, I'd peg her as an Ohio transplant who moved down about ten years earlier. She certainly didn't sound like a born-and-raised south-westerner)

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I think I'll Stick with in Plain Sight which is a better show of this ilk.

6. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I've nixed it. Too chaotic for dramatic effect and I'm not particularly interested in the female lead.

7. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

I noticed there is no new episodes of Chase this week or next and don't find it listed anywhere for the next few weeks.

Just wondering if it was canceled already or put on hold? No matter what the case is, trying to kick off a new show and then breaking it up after just 2 episodes air is impossible to get any support for. My guess is the show is dead or very soon will be.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Is that from a DVR listing with your provider? TV Guide still lists an episode of Chase as being scheduled to air tonight.

9. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Peh-vuh-LEE Missouri?