Charter HDTV

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by glenn.co, Feb 5, 2005.

1. glenn.co

glenn.co Auditioning

I just got the Charter HDTV box (Motorola) and have noticed something. The quality of the non-HD channels is much lower than my previous converter box.

Is this because of some sort of compression causing the picture to look like your watching a video on your computer in 640x480 (okay, thats exaggerating, but you get the idea, pixelated and blurry)?

The HD channels look really crisp, my only complaint about those channels is they seem to be a little on the blue side of the tint spectrum. Color on non HD channels is correct.

Im confident that my cables are hooked up correctly, im coming straight from the converter to plasma tv via component cables (not cheapies). I contacted Charter and they said the typical 'reset the box and call back' (gee, ever wonder why tech support jobs are being outsourced overseas?).

Anyone have any info or suggestions? I live near the St Louis area.

Thank you in advance,

Glenn Collier

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

You might want to try it on another TV. Could be the plasma is having trouble with the signal.[​IMG]

3. glenn.co

glenn.co Auditioning

In my post, i said the HD channels come in clear...My question was if anyone knew if cable companies, or Charter in general uses compression to sort of split the HD signal from the regular signal.

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I never noticed, when I had the charter cable box, a difference in quality with the SD channels. Did they split the signal with the new box, could it be that it's just a bad pass-through?