Charlotte's Web

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Darren_Fu, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Darren_Fu

Darren_Fu Stunt Coordinator

I just read some older posts and they did not really answer the question as to which version is OAR for CW. Was Charlotte's Web ever in the theaters??? I don't think is was but I could be wrong. If it wasn't in the theaters and since it is an old 70's animated film....wouldn't full screen version be the OAR??? Now don't everyone jump on me and think I am a 1.33:1 nut because if you viewed my DVD collection you would find WS only!!! Just thought this was an interesting concept. Please help me put this to rest.

Thx,
    DWF

2. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
  3. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

We have the widescreen version of CW. It's ok. I wish this went through a full restoration process like with Disney's platinum titles. The colors really waver a lot and the sound is pretty tinny at times. Who knows what they could do with it, but it is still a good title to own. My daughter loves it.

4. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yep, I know I took the kids to see it when it was in theaters. Alas, I have no idea what shape it was---that was long before I was conscious of OAR, etc. But the DVD seems unnecessarily cropped.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Be warned...

the widescreen disc is improperly matted and cuts off the heads of many of the characters during musical numbers.

It's one of the few cases where I'm going to repurchase the open-matte 4x3 version.

My suspcian is that the 4x3 version may be P/S and the widesreen DVD may be a cropped version of it.

You've been warned about the 16x9 disc!

7. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I'm considering getting this with Finding Nemo tomorrow ($5 off if you buy it with Finding Nemo). Does anyone have a definitive answer on the framing of this, and whether the WS release is the best option?

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Scott, it's up to you. Personally, this is one rare case where I'd comfortable going (gasp) with the 4x3 version only because the "life" of this feature for me was on telvision for so many year *AND* that the WS OAR version just *can't* be right....I can't imagine heads getting cut off in the theater like that

9. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Does anyone have any screenshots of the "chopped" heads?

10. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

I just picked the widescreen version of this title up and WOW - it is bad. This framing simply cannot be right. Heads are chopped up all throughout. Can someone who knows (I was born in 1980, so I never saw it) speak to the OAR and how it should look? I agree with the above poster who states that it seems like the widescreen DVD was matted from a P&S source or something like that.

I can't believe that the tops of heads and buildings (for instance, during the opening credits) were supposed to be cropped like this.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Zack

11. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    It was probably designed for a slightly more "open" matting i.e. 1.66:1, so I imagine that early 70s screenings would have been as horribly butchered as what you see on the DVD.

12. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    maybe they will re-release it in the proper format when the live action movie is released on dvd.
    if you like the animation, you will probably like the live action one too.

Jacob

13. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Well, I have to agree with David Boulet above...I definitely prefer the "fullscreen" DVD. I am a huge OAR advocate, but in this case, neither looks totally right to my eyes, but the full screen looks "less wrong." I wish this film would get a nice SE -- it's a childhood favorite!

14. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

Excellent animated film. I enjoyed the live action version currently in the theaters as well, but the lack of any songs was a major disappointment.