Charlotte, NC loses the Hornets to New Orleans.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, May 10, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I just read the sad news that Charlotte, NC will be losing the Hornets to New Orleans. Basketball is incredibly popular in North Carolina, but more so on the college level, obviously. This reminds me of when Minnesota lost the hockey North Stars to Dallas. I think of Minnesota as a place where anyone and everyone plays hockey, and hockey at the college level is very popular. However, some years back, there wasn't enough fan support for the NHL team to keep the North Stars there.
    Here is a link to news of the Hornets' impending move to New Orleans:
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/746720.asp

2. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

The Hornets used to be my favorite team when Muggsy Bogues, Larry Johnson, and Alonzo Mourning all played together on the team. Even with this move, I'll still think of them as the Charlotte Hornets. I just can't help it.

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

4. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Evan,
    Wow, I feel you man. The Winnipeg Jets underwent nearly the same situation when I lived there. I swear, if you replaced every mention of "Whalers" with "Jets" you wouldn't be far off in describing Winnipeg's heartbreaking battle to "Save our Jets."
    I too am still bitter at the whole mess. I haven't been able enjoy the game in the same manner as I used to although it warms my heart to see the Habs do well.
    I hate Gary Bettman [​IMG]
    Michael.

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

6. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

From reading different stories over the course of the year, Charlotte will be getting another NBA team at some point in the near future. I'd take that with a grain of salt, simply because what is Daniel Stern going to say?

But, fans in Charlotte didn't turn on the team as much as they did on the ownership. They traded away LJ and 'Zo, and Muggsy!

Plus, Shinn was involved in a messy affair trial that further alienated fans.

Charlotte wanted the owner's (Shinn and Woolridge) to sell the team to new ownership that was dedicated to keeping the team in Charlotte. Alas, it never happened.

I wonder if the Hornets (provided they keep the name) will be in the East or West conference next year. It would make logistical sense to put them out west, in the Midwest Division, and take Memphis out of the West and put them in the East.

We shall see.