What's new

Charlotte’s Web Trailer & Flatuence in Children’s Movies (1 Viewer)

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
In between school ending and camp beginning, so I took some time off today and went with my 11 year old girl to see a matinee. The new GARFIELD thing -- don't ask. With Bill Murray as the lead voice actor I was hoping for something good -- don't ask.

Anyway, one of the trailers was for the upcoming live action version of "Charlotte's Web." From the quick snippets, it all looked rather OK. I was getting a little optimistic. Then... there was a scene with Templeton passing behind the rear of a cow when... this bovine broke wind so fiercely that the rat was hurled over a yard away, upon which the punchline was pronounced: "bullseye!"

Sheesh!

And in the new GARFIELD thing there was a bunch of fart jokes too, so unfunny that my girl was just rolling her eyes. What the F***? When did mere flatulence become such a ready substitute for actual humor? How fundamentally lazy can you get? How insulting to a kid's intelligence?!

And why inject farts into a friggin' classic like "Charlotte's Web"?! Who decided that a great story alone wasn't enough to attract kids?!

ARGH!:angry: :thumbsdown:

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Depressing, isn't it. Be glad THE WIZARD OF OZ was made in '39 or we'd have flying monkeys breaking wind.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I'm sick of this trend, as well. The preview for the Sky High ripoff Zoom gives another example of this garbage.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
the movie looked superb until the fart jokes took over the trailer. at best the elicit a giggle not because of any intrinsic humor but at mild embarassment and breaking a social taboo. It's stupid and not really effective to do, but some suit decided they were spending so much money on Cg that they needed fart jokes to offset the cost. :/

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
This kinda stuff slays the kids. It's rather immature to us though.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw that "Charlotte's Web" trailer in front of "CARS". I was wondering how it would it stand up to the animated version and then the farting cow thing happened. Right there I knew the film would not measure up either to the book or the original animated version. The cow thing was pathetic and unfunny. The original story was about friendship and not judging a person by appearance. It wasn't about passing off lowbrow antics as "humour".

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I remember seeing this (the cartoon) when I was a kid and it had a great impact on me.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, farts in kiddie flicks are out of control, though to be fair, they've been used for a long time. Cripes - "Return of the Jedi" had similar jokes! (I think that was belching, though - same difference.)

Oh, and your high hopes for the "Garfield" sequel - did you see the first one? No reason to expect anything better after that dud...

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
I didn't see the first GARFIELD. Didn't know the first thing about it. Was Bill Murray in that too? I just saw my man Bill and thought, hey, some funny quips might be in store. NOPE!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
When did this kind of humor become socially acceptable anyways? When I was a kid you couldn't even say the word "fart", now it's everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks