What's new

Charlie Sheen to Rehab.. (2 1/2 Men) (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's more about the way he said it. I didn't take it as as racist as others, but the inference was still there.

Still, of all his sins, from beating his wife to bragging about him needing to re-write the bible, to his pronouncement that he'd beat up his executive producer in the parking lot and "if he lived.." I view the word choice as probably the least on the list. It was a slap at his producer to call him out, but compared to the threat to beat him down in the "octagon of doom" it seems kind of minor.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Still, of all his sins, from beating his wife to bragging about him needing to re-write the bible, to his pronouncement that he'd beat up his executive producer in the parking lot and "if he lived.." I view the word choice as probably the least on the list. It was a slap at his producer to call him out, but compared to the threat to beat him down in the "octagon of doom" it seems kind of minor.
I don't get how a few months back he held a knife to his Wife's throat, but Mel Gibson is a pariah (Although I do understand the circumstances of Mel's exile, but why did Sheen continue to have a career, becoming the highest paid actor on television by a wide margin, when's he's had a pretty reprehensible history also)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG

I don't get how a few months back he held a knife to his Wife's throat, but Mel Gibson is a pariah (Although I do understand the circumstances of Mel's exile, but why did Sheen continue to have a career, becoming the highest paid actor on television by a wide margin, when's he's had a pretty reprehensible history also)

Probably for the same reason a child rapist, Roman Polanski, is praised by so many of his peers.....cause Hollywood is a truly f**ked up place where the normal rules of society don't apply to anyone.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell

The show actually had creativity at one time?

This isn't directed at anyone here but I don't see how anyone could defend this douchebag.

I'll take a shot. :) The show was good for a long time but the humor has fallen off in recent years where they ran out of new ideas. It became increasingly offensive to some. I'm not bothered by how vulgar it was, but it amazed me what they got away with. There was no natural end to the show and there was no reason to end it as I think it was still the highest rated sitcom on tv. So you had a money making monster, that Lorre didn't want to do anymore and where the creator/star hated each other. So the star has huge personal issues that don't seem to affect his on screen performance or ability to show up on time and do his job. But Lorre can't handle it when Sheen calls him names, so he storms off the set and puts a whole lot of people out of work. Sheen mentioned suing for the remainder of his paychecks. He might just win since he didn't quit and didn't do anything that would have prevented them from continuing to do the show.

Sheen is a tremendous douche, but he's not to blame for putting all those people out of work or making the show unfunny. He's just the easier target. I wouldn't recognize Lorre if I tripped over him.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Lorre put people out of work? How about the network heard Sheen's recent interviews, recognized them as typical coke-fueled delirium, and decided that they didn't want the liability of having him OD while at work? If he even died after work hours, they'd be accused of putting an ill person to work when everyone with an ear would know he needs to be in a hospital.

There's no way the show could continue with him in this state. And if there's any clauses about health and fitness in Sheen's contact, there's no way he'll get paid for the unfilmed episodes. Sheen's dealers will have to get paid by Sheen the old-fashioned way.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The thing with how this worked out is that CBS and Lorre have a responsibility not just to the cast and crew, but also to those who invest in the program. Sheen had shown up late repeatedly for the program and walked off the set a few times - something Cryer had talked about on Letterman just a few weeks ago. Lorre and those involved are supposed to also manage their money; if they are convinced they are going to pay out a lot of dailies and nothing is going to get done, then they aren't helping anyone. Besides, if they filmed days without Sheen, then they'd break his contract anyway.

Sheen's contract has moral clauses, which surely he has broken.. whether it's the suitcase of coke or the knife to the wife's throat (nice rhyme there), CBS at a certain point had to say: we need you to be healthy or we can't go on.

Sheen doesn't employ people. Lorre floats 3 active shows, and two pilots where he employed a lot of the crew while they weren't working on 2 1/2. Sheen had one responsbility.. not to go batshit. He failed miserably. His interview on ABC this week is going to be a riot.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Will_B

Lorre put people out of work? How about the network heard Sheen's recent interviews, recognized them as typical coke-fueled delirium, and decided that they didn't want the liability of having him OD while at work? If he even died after work hours, they'd be accused of putting an ill person to work when everyone with an ear would know he needs to be in a hospital.

There's no way the show could continue with him in this state. And if there's any clauses about health and fitness in Sheen's contact, there's no way he'll get paid for the unfilmed episodes. Sheen's dealers will have to get paid by Sheen the old-fashioned way.

Aren't you speculating as to the reason for the cancellation? I suppose I am too, but my impression was the show was canceled because Lorre said he wouldn't work with Sheen anymore.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by mattCR

The thing with how this worked out is that CBS and Lorre have a responsibility not just to the cast and crew, but also to those who invest in the program. Sheen had shown up late repeatedly for the program and walked off the set a few times - something Cryer had talked about on Letterman just a few weeks ago. Lorre and those involved are supposed to also manage their money; if they are convinced they are going to pay out a lot of dailies and nothing is going to get done, then they aren't helping anyone. Besides, if they filmed days without Sheen, then they'd break his contract anyway.

Sheen's contract has moral clauses, which surely he has broken.. whether it's the suitcase of coke or the knife to the wife's throat (nice rhyme there), CBS at a certain point had to say: we need you to be healthy or we can't go on.

Sheen doesn't employ people. Lorre floats 3 active shows, and two pilots where he employed a lot of the crew while they weren't working on 2 1/2. Sheen had one responsbility.. not to go batshit. He failed miserably. His interview on ABC this week is going to be a riot.

Like I said to Will, do you think they canceled the show out of responsibility to investors? I don't see any business analysis where stopping new revenues exceeds any potential losses they would have had if they continued shooting. This looks like it was a spat between Lorre and Sheen and nothing else.

The reason i disagree with the other reasons offered for canceling the show is that they didn't cancel it after the knife to the wife's throat, they didn't cancel it after numerous coke binges, hookers and other sordid acts. They didn't cancel after the missed shoots or walking off the set. They canceled it after Sheen mocked Lorre on a radio show. All the other sordid stuff seems to just be a convenient excuse.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
We are indeed all speculating, but the spat between Sheen and Lorre had been going on for years, so I doubt it was purely hurt feelings that led to this.

With pilot season having just ended, and production on new shows starting, maybe this was the best time to let the cast and crew go on to other projects. I don't know.

But this situation seems to pull ahead of "Alf" in terms of being the worst set in sitcom history...

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
It sure seems like all of this has happened in a couple months so to say it's just because Sheen and Lorre got into a fight seems off. It looks like it was the final straw and Sheen doesn't look to be going in the right direction.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I heard Sheen wants a raise to return to the show which means the show will probably get cancel as the studio and television network are not going to allow this guy to push them around any longer.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

I heard Sheen wants a raise to return to the show which means the show will probably get cancel as the studio and television network are not going to allow this guy to push them around any longer.

Either that, or it will go down the same route as Three's Company.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
When the speculation about whether or not he suffered from bipolar disorder was brought up, Sheen seemed aghast, denying it, but admitting that his brain "fires in a way that is not maybe from this particular terrestrial realm.

"Bipolar? I'm biwinning. I win here and I win there, now what?" he said. "I have one gear, go. I'm me. I'm different. I have a different constitution. Dying's for fools."

when was the last time I ingested or took drugs? 'Used' is such an AA stupid expression. I don't remember. Maybe a month ago…six weeks ago. Just a couple days before the suits rolled in and said change it, we're shutting it down."

Now, he says, he's "answered to a higher calling" and is confident he will not relapse.

"No, not going to. Period. The end. I blinked and I cured my brain. Can't is the cancer of happen."

Which isn't to say he doesn't remember his spiraling days fondly.

"I expose people to magic, I expose them to something they're never otherwise going to experience in their normal, boring lives. I may forget about it tomorrow, but they're going to live with that memory the rest of their lives. That's a gift, man."

"Guys, IMDb right there, 62 movies, a ton of success, I mean, come on bro, I won best picture at 20. I wasn't even trying. I wasn't even warm."

As for CBS, in addition to the buckets of money, Sheen said he wants just one thing: an apology.

"They owe me a big one," he said. "Publicly, while licking my feet."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had the view on this morning and saw Sheen's buddy Alex Jones on there. He's apparently just as loony as Sheen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks