What's new

Charlie Chaplin Essanay & Mutual Comedies R2 (1 Viewer)

DieterW

Agent
The Essanay & Mutual Comedies are available in the USA for some time now, although they are not in Europe - at least not to my knowledge. We, poor Europeans, have to import most of the nice silent movies. The silents available on DVD in Europe commonly suffer from bad quality. The DVDs from the BFI are a welcome exception.
When I went to the store today to spend some of the money I acquired during the Christmas period (thank you grannies :) ), I was happily surprised to be confronted with a R2 DVD box set which combined Chaplin's Essanay and Mutual comedies. The box set has been released in France by Arte Video (a subdivision of Arte TV) in October 2002. I checked amazon.fr and it seems to be available there as well: http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...788630-6465004
Subtitles are in English, French and German. Sound is dolby surround 2.0 and AR is 4:3 (for those who don't understand French). Also, the discs are R2 PAL encoded. I haven't watched the DVDs yet, but I'm sure they will entertain me during the weekend. The box set might be an alternative for R2 people who prefer to shop within the EU, and as such don't have to be affraid of extra customs tax.

DieterW

Agent
I know about the upcoming newly restored Chaplin movies on DVD, but the Essanay and Mutual Comedies won't be included. That was the main reason I posted about them. I might be wrong on this, but I haven't seen the Comedies listed for re-release.
Further notes on the box I bought: the box mentions that the movies have been restored by David Sheppard, 1999. They might be the same as the Image release, with the only difference that the Arte R2 release is PAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks