What's new

Charlie Chaplin 4 disk box set from Image (1 Viewer)

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
For those interested in the Image 4 disk Chaplin box set, I picked it up at Borders today for $50. It says $80 on the box, but on line at their bordersstores.com (not the Amazon/Borders site)it goes for $49.99 and their internal store computer (both the search yourself computers and those behind the desk confirm the $49.99 price. However, it will scan at $79.99, so get ready to do some talking, some showing of printouts etc.

If it's in stock near you, you should be in luck, Dan

PS: it includes Great Dictator, Modern Times, City Lights and Gold Rush.

SusanO

Agent
Got mine yesterday (I'm in Houston and Meyerland and Kirby are sold out ;) - Houston Westheimer supposedly still has one. You might also want to check today's Chronicle (or your local newspaper) to see if there's a 15% off DVDs coupon - several cities (NYC Cleveland Dallas DC) have them!
-S

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I had a business issue that kept me from going right away so I reserved the set via the web page.

Then I received a Borders e-mail that had a 20% off coupon.

Picked up the set for the grand total of $43.29!

For such a great set I think I got a real deal.

Dan thanks again for posting this information.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Patrick, you are most welcome. Thanks for the thanks, it makes the time spent worth it. Sounds like you sailed through the bargaining/clarification process with greater ease than I did (and with a coupon!). Dan

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
At the store I went to, the cashier just took 20% off everything--sale items and DVDs included. Some of those prices were amazing, especially the sale CDs (got the new Bowie CD for $9.60)! The whole thing couldn't have been easier.

Kudos to Borders for making this one easy.

David Dennison

Second Unit
What a great deal! I only got 15% off the Chaplin boxed set with my coupon, but with a starting price of only $49.99 who cares? I am glad I brought a printout of the $49.99 online price as it rang up $79.99 and they had no way to confirm the online price in the store. The sales lady was very nice, though.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
David, did you try looking at their computers in the store? At my local Borders, they have two 'look it up yourself' computers. These reveal the $50 price, as does the store's internal price computer. It is just the register that bumps it up to $80...

Good job with the printout.

Dan

David Dennison

Second Unit
I did not see, but did not look for any in-store computers. The cashier just said she had no computer to look up online and verify. She was very glad I brought a printout.

Pete O

Auditioning
You guys might want to hold off on that Chaplin set. WB just made a deal with the owners of all of Chaplin's films and are suppossedly doing brand new editions of all of them.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
You guys might want to hold off on that Chaplin set.
I don't know about the Warner deal, but this one is pretty nice. Each of the Image DVDs have these films in better condition than I've ever seen them, including on film. (I've never seen them on very good condition film, though.)

The DVDs aren't perfect, of course with age affecting the masters. They have nice enough supplements as well. My one disappointment in the Image set is that they don't include the original title cards for the silent films. For example, Gold Rush has the "1942 re-release narrated by Chaplin with intertitle cards deleted." It comes off nicely, like a story-teller telling what you essentially what you would have read on the intertitles. It's the first time I've seen this re-released, narrated version. I don't mind hearing Chaplin's narrative -- it's done well -- but I'd also like to see it as I remember first enjoying it. If Warner Bros do re-release Chaplin films, I hope they include both Chaplin's narrated re-releases with the intertitled versions. That would be a worthy improvement.

On the other hand, I'm not impressed with Warner's careless DVD transfers of classic films by important directors (e.g. Kubrick round 1). And the Chaplin set with the discount at Borders came to under $11 per DVD - not shabby for a good quality set.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I saw some of the individual Chaplin titles (Image) priced at $12.99 each at my local Borders. With the 15% coupon, this is an awesome deal. I bought all the Chaplin DVDs last year for $20 each soon after the news came out that they were going OOP. I guess I should have waited ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks