What's new

Charlie Chan (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard when the next Charlie Chan box set (that would be volume 5) will be released? The previous ones have been wonderful and I'd love to see all the Chans on DVD.

Brad

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Hi Brad,

Should be in the fall. All 7 of the remaining Fox Chans will be on this set along with the usual plethora of bonus features. Exact date and bonus features have not been announced yet. The films, most of which are quite good, are: Murder Cruise, Rio, Panama, Dead Men Tell (with George Reeves), Wax Museum, Murder Over New York, and Castle in the Desert. The recently deceased Kay Linaker was in two of these so I'm hoping that additional interview footage will be included.

This will mean that Fox will have released all 25 extant Chan films they produced (12 Oland, 11 Toler, 1 foreign language, 1 pre-Oland). Mega Kudos to the current team at Fox that made this happen.

MGM has released the first 6 Toler Monograms. There were indications a couple of years ago that Warner was looking to release the other 11 Monogram Chans but they've apparently put those plans on hold due to element concerns (same issue as the Bowery Boys films).

Steve

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the information, Steve. I'll be looking for this in the Fall. I just love these films.and I'm happy the Fox team has has spent the time and effort make these available.

I have the Charlie Chan Chanthology from MGM and I hope Warner can restore what's left of the other Monogram Chans. A complete Bowery Boys set would also be terrific. Hope springs eternal.

Brad

WadeM

Supporting Actor

I bought the Chanthology collection from Deep Discount for $27 the other day and was surprised how much I actually liked the Monograms. Of course, I also like volume 5 from Fox more than some of the volumes.

Anyway, has there been any indication that Warner found better elements? I read somewhere that there's a new Charlie Chan movie being released in 2009, so it would certainly be a great year to finish these out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks