Charlie Chan Mr. Moto Fox Release

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tom Mantan D., Jan 13, 2004.

1. Tom Mantan D.

Well,
    Peter Staddon has nixed the dvd releases of these films in last night's chat due to the potential of losing his shirt on the releases. While I respect the man, I am at an utter loss of words. Did Fox look at the bootleg sales of these films for the last 20 years thru mail order and EBAY or how well MPI has done with the Sherlock Holmes films of the same era? OR how well Alpha Video has done with the Mr. Moto public domain title? WHAT AM I MISSING HERE????? I work with high finance for a living, I deal with profit. I know I am financially literate, but am having great difficulty understanding that statement. IF Fox does not wish to release them, WHY not license them to MPI or whomever as a third party release. I find this whole situation to be absolutely unbelieveable. This is a true shame for film history. What's even more bogus, is that all of the "restoration" work has already been performed on these films. And they are working on a big screen Charlie Chan film featuring Lucy Liu? WHAT GIVES?
    Frustrated,
    Tom D.

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Tom, I totally agree with you. I've thought for quite a while that I'd definitely buy the Charlie Chan movies if they are released on DVD. You might want to start a petition to Mr. Stadon, asking for either a release or licensing the films to a company that would release them.

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I don't understand how these films could be considered unprofitable on DVD. Maybe the criticism of these films as presenting sterotypical characters may be scaring the studio off. Very sad & frustrating!

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    If I had to guess, the decision not to release these titles goes beyond just Peter Staddon's control. As part of his job responsibilities, he will take the heat for this decision, but trust me, there's more to this then meets the eye.

5. Tom Mantan D.

Robert,
    I agree, you have hit the nail on the head. BUT It is still not going to stop me from sending a letter requesting their release or at the least license them out and let MPI or Anchor Bay do the release. This whole situation just stinks. I cannot believe the short sightedness of being politically correct. This situation needs someone like a Hugh Hefner to make it work, much like the pressure and money he exerted to get the Sherlock Holmes films to dvd. For those of you who didn't know that, Hefner apparently lobbied with both words and money for some time for those films. Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto need the same kind of champion whose last name is NOT Murdoch(Rupert). Another rambling question, if the films are so worthless, then SELL THEM!
    Tom

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of his statement.

Steve O

7. Tom Mantan D.

AND I am sure they have been approached for the Mr. Moto rights also as I know at least 1 public domain company that tried to obtain them and was turned down w/out explanation. CRAP, that is what this is. Well, it gives me more "fuel" for my letter.
    Tom

8. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

This is what angers me most about studios, their unwillingness to license titles out that they have no intention of releasing themselves. Fox has licensed some of their titles out to Criterion but I doubt they'll pick up the Chan or Moto films. I sadly feel these films will never see the light of day on DVD[​IMG]

9. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Apparently Video Business magazine just had a full page article about the Sherlock Holmes box set DVDs issued by MPI. If it ever appears online, I'll edit this post to link to the article.

They've sold over 200,000 units so far (and they just came out last fall) with more releases still in the pipeline.

I would humbly like to ask Fox to please explain to me once again why they think they'll lose their shirt on these releases? The restoration work is already done on the Chan and Moto films and other companies have offered to license these films from FOX and pick up the DVD authoring expenses themselves.

Thank you so much.

Steve

10. Tom Mantan D.

AGREED,

It is a load of horse puckey that Fox is trying to feed the video world with regard to Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto. Heck, I just know that MPI would be happy to release the films and so would Anchor Bay. NOW, the true question is will the Turner Folks ever get off the proverbial pot and release the MGM owned Monogram Chan films that are rotting in their vaults. OH, this subject just boggles the mind.

Tom D.

11. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I will sign any petition to get this series released on DVD.
    I think Fox is missing out on this one.

12. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    A renewed plea to Fox on the Chan films....

In addition to the excellent sales of the Holmes films, the upcoming "Thin Man" collection has hit #1 on the Amazon charts. For Fox to continue to say that there is no market for these kinds of films flies against common sense. If Fox sees viability in releasing the Killer Tomatoes flicks (not to mention colorized versions of PD films that have been released many times before) then they should see economic viability in the Chan/Moto films.

I'm not sure they can use the PC argument anymore either. With the upcoming Looney Tunes collection of "adult oriented cartoons", the 1943 Batman serial, and the likely 2006 release of "Song of the South" some high profile "hot button" titles are being made available.

Fox could release the Chan series in 2 box sets (a Warner Oland collection and a Sidney Toler collection). Putting 2 films per DVD would result in 6 DVDs per set with the early Chan talkie "Behind That Curtain" perhaps tossed in as an extra (it's got Karloff). The Moto films could be packaged in a single set.

Please Fox, you do a great job with your other titles, it's time that you extended the same courtesy to two series that made your studio a lot of money in their day.

Thanks.

Steve

13. Tom Mantan D.

Steve

As always, your posts are on target,BUT remember we are still dealing with FOX and all of their idiotic thoughts and ramblings with regard to Mr. Moto and Charlie Chan.

AS I have posted on here for 2 years, their is not logical or monetary reason not to release these films, they are still highly sought after and traded and sold on the collector market, their are a few "losers in this equation":
    1. The net income "bottom line" at Fox
    2. Film fans around the world.

Still quite a sad and unbelievable situation.

BRING ON the 1943 Batman and Song of the South, at least a few studios have the cojones to release controversial yet classic films.

14. Mark Oates

Mark Oates Supporting Actor

As Fox is bankrolling Lucy Liu's reinvention of the Chan character and adventures, maybe there's some kind of anti-Oland/Toler deal going on similar to what's stopping a release of the 1960s Batman series - there's some suit reckons the old movies would damage the new franchise.

Although I have to say I suspect the truth may have more to do with Mrs. Kangarupert having the movies on her sh*t list as Steve suggested.