What's new

Charlie Chan Films Update with Fox Movie Channel (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
Since I don't get that channel, I hope there may be DVD releases eventually, so I can put Charlie beside Sherlock on my shelf. :)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
It'll be interesting to see if any of these do come to DVD now.

Given that Fox spent over $2 million to restore these films you would think they would want to recoup their investment.

FMC's license to show these films expires 9/30 so the 4 films that are showing in September will be it. I've read an article which stated that Starz/Encore has entered into a deal with Fox to show Fox films. Rumor has it that Chan might wind up on the Encore Mystery channel (although I've not been able to confirm this).

I have been able to confirm that the 60's version of "The Green Hornet" will be shown on Starz/Encore as part of this deal.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, $2 million is the cost Fox (the studio, not the movie channel) spent on restoring the films. I obtained that figure from one of the news articles that appeared early on during the controversy.

While it sounds high, it's makes sense once one considers that there were 23 films restored and that the average cost to restore a B&W film is approximately $100,000.

Keep in mind that these were (for the lack of a better word) "basic" restorations, not a "Casablanca" or "Sunset Boulevard" type restoration which cost considerably more to do.

Unfortunately, one of the greatest Chans of all 1931's "The Black Camel" which features a great Bela Lugosi performance was not restored. All anyone could get Fox to say about this was that they "didn't have access to the film at this time" leading some to speculate that the rights have shifted to another studio. The film does exist and does heavily circulate in the "collector to collector" market, but it would be nice to get a copy that isn't duped several times over. My own copy is poor. I'm working on getting it upgraded via another collector who has a razor sharp print of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks