Charlie Chan due in July from MGM

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Scott, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

dvd drive-in reports

2. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

3. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    ....and Fox said Charlie Chan films weren't economically viable.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    MGM should be thanked for taking the chance!

5. Steve_Smith

Steve_Smith Stunt Coordinator

This is great news indeed [​IMG] I've been worried that the "up-roar" over the movies would of really killed any chance of any of the Chan movies being released on dvd.

I'll second that thought!!!!!! And pre-order as soon as it starts to be listed.

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I'll be picking these up for sure. If the sales are good (which I'm sure they will be), maybe Fox will see the light and release their Chan's.

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Hurrah!

8. obscurelabel

obscurelabel Stunt Coordinator

Larry

Does anyone know if all the Fox Charlie Chans even exist? I thought I had read somewhere (maybe on this forum, though I can't find a relevant thread) that some of them had become "lost" films.

9. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I would like to offer a big public "thank you" to MGM for recognizing the great sales potential of Charlie Chan and for not letting last year's misguided protests deter them from releasing these.

I look forward to purchasing these in July and I know many others will as well. I will be looking up MGM's website and sending them a letter of thanks.

Hi Larry, sadly 4 of the early sound Chans and 2 of the silent Chans have no prints that are publically acknowledged to exist. Interestingly, the earliest existing Warner Oland Fox Chan, "The Black Camel", is now owned by Warner Brothers. Since Bela Lugosi is the co-star of this movie, there were rumors that Bela Jr. was going to try to release this on his own, but nothing ever came of it.

Steve

10. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    For those of you who didn't catch the Fox chat, here was Peter Staddon's comment regarding the Fox-owned Charlie Chan films (Jan 12,2004)

"It's really difficult to sell the Charlie Chan films, I'd love to get them out as they are really a peice of the studios history. But the commercial side of this business rears its ugly head and I would loose my shirt on these releases, so they are staying in the vault for the time being. Sorry to disappoint."

Jeff

11. Steve_Smith

Steve_Smith Stunt Coordinator

As far as Fox is concerned, and knowing that Peter Staddon likes to show up and post here every so often [​IMG] I really hope he can keep a eye on sales of the MGM release and re-think his thoughts on the profit potential of the Fox Charlie Chan films.

I know that exact numbers of other studios are hard to come by, but I'm sure there are ways of finding out [​IMG]

12. JimmyT

JimmyT Stunt Coordinator

This is great news. These aren't my favorite Charlie Chan films, but I WILL be buying them. Maybe strong sales will persuade Fox to release their Charlie Chan films.

13. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Thank you MGM for releasing these films!

I hope people will purchase these as a vote to FOX to release their Charlie Chans.

14. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Artwork for this set, which will be released on July 6th can be found here.

Although the pictures are ported from the VHS covers, I really like the layout of the set. Great job MGM!

Although MSRP is $70 I'm sure this will be available for somewhere in the mid to high $40s which is $8 or under per film. A steal considering I paid $15 - $20 apiece for the VHS versions.

As the others have indicated, hopefully MGM's decision to release these will clear the way for Fox to release their films (which are grade 'A' entertainment; a clear notch above the Monograms).

Steve

15. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I'm buying this just to enjoy sticking it to Political Correctness Run Amok (TM) [​IMG]

16. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I like the Asian trappings on the outer box cover. The font is cool. I'm not familiar with these particular Chan movies, but I'll pick it up.

Just found my down arrow and saw the individual art. Very nice. Sort of period, sort of modern. And, Chanisms. Cool.

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

wow that looks great indeed. A blind purchase for me

18. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

I agree with Steve...O about the packaging, it really grabs you and looks instantly collectible. This is an instant purchase for me, and will hopefully pave the way for more, as well as releases from Fox.

19. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    Fox should look at the sales of the recent SHERLOCK HOLMES collection to get an idea of what another great detective series would do. I hear the Holmes did much better sales than anticipated.

Unfortunately, some of the Fox Chans, even with their restoration look pretty rough, but I would love to see all of the extant titles on DVD. Just wish CC EGYPT, PARIS, BROADWAY looked a bit better. The one that looks like camera negative is DEAD MEN TELL. That one really is a stunner.

20. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

I hear you. The other title that I wished looked better is BLACK CAMEL, perhaps the best in the entire series. What concerns me is that FOX is on record as saying that Warners now owns the film, but Warners recently said it was a FOX film. It makes me wonder if anybody even knows where the print is being stored. I'm surprised that Bela Lugosi fans haven't gotten this released; he gives a marvelous performance in it.

Steve